Showing results 1 to 25 of 48
Search took 0.24 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Captain Coleman
Forum: Ford Explorer December 4th 06, 08:28 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 6
Posted By Captain Coleman
crackling speakers

If you replaced the head unit, you don't need your factory amp any more.
You will need a wiring harness to bypass the factory amp unless you really
want to splice or solder, not worth the trouble...
Forum: Ford Explorer November 28th 06, 04:32 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 2
Posted By Captain Coleman
'99 ranger - shift issue

Spark plugs?

"Randy Johnson" > wrote in message
> Hi there -
>
> My '99 Ranger has a shifting/jerking issue. Shifts are fine...
Forum: Ford Explorer November 20th 06, 05:37 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 9
Posted By Captain Coleman
Rear Wheel Bearings Suddenly Bad...

Question for you Jim. How do you remove stuck brake rotors in your shop?

"Jim Warman" > wrote in message
> Interesting... we just got...
Forum: Ford Explorer November 20th 06, 05:03 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 9
Posted By Captain Coleman
2005 cooling system clicking

This has been discussed ad nausea here before. Use groups.google.com and
read the archives. Your compressor run in every position for the climate
control except off and vent.
Several years ago on...
Forum: Ford Explorer November 20th 06, 01:12 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 9
Posted By Captain Coleman
Rear Wheel Bearings Suddenly Bad...

The best and non-destructive way to remove stuck brake rotors is rent a
three jaw puller from your local auto parts store. (Oreilly's, Autozone,
etc) They'll come right off. If they're really...
Forum: Ford Explorer November 19th 06, 01:37 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 8
Posted By Captain Coleman
Exploder won't start

Since you can't get the thing started, take the battery out and take it to
your local parts store. Most will test your battery for free.

"Jason" > wrote in...
Forum: Ford Explorer November 17th 06, 03:27 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 1
Posted By Captain Coleman
1998 blower working, heat works randomly

Check to see if your heater core bypass valve is stuck.

"jddsabor" <u29114@uwe> wrote in message news:694bebb49c7a5@uwe...
> 1998 Eddie Bauer. Turn heat on, blower work fine, but only cold air....
Forum: Ford Explorer November 16th 06, 10:27 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 2
Posted By Captain Coleman
Can't find oil leak.

1997 4.0 OHV 2WD XLT 4-door explorer with ~130K miles
I've had a slow oil leak for awhile. Thus far I've replaced the intake
manifold (upper and lower) and valve cover gaskets. I took it to a...
Forum: Ford Explorer November 4th 06, 02:58 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 3
Posted By Captain Coleman
Blend door or what?

I think some air always goes to your dash vents if you pick a setting that
engages the compressor. The only way to prevent this is to close off your
dash vents with tape or some other...
Forum: Ford Explorer November 3rd 06, 07:56 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 3
Posted By Captain Coleman
97 Explorer Yet Another Stuck On Heat

Sounds like the infamous blend door problem.

See the website: http://www.blenddoorfix.netfirms.com/

Forum: Ford Explorer October 30th 06, 02:30 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 5
Posted By Captain Coleman
Could someone please explain how tire size destroyed my transfer case?

>>How did the diameter of one tire cause this problem?

Read the article:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=18

That should help answer your question.
Forum: Ford Explorer October 29th 06, 01:36 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 6
Posted By Captain Coleman
Bad Valve Springs

Thanks for the replies.
I don't know if a compression test was done. They hooked it
up to the "computer" and said there were no codes of any kind. I don't know
if a compression test was done or if...
Forum: Ford Explorer October 28th 06, 04:30 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 5
Posted By Captain Coleman
1998 Ford Explorer, Engine squeak/chirp from top rear of engine.

When I replaced my synchro, the shaft had a fair amount of play when
compared to the new one. I could make it squeak when turning it. The
synchro itself didn't look worn, I guess the internal...
Forum: Ford Explorer October 27th 06, 02:36 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 6
Posted By Captain Coleman
Bad Valve Springs

I had my 97 Explorer (4.0 OHV with 125K miles) into the dealer today for a
rough running engine with no check engine light. The tech listed the
problem as "Broken or weak valve springs." I did a...
Forum: Ford Explorer October 24th 06, 03:17 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 1
Posted By Captain Coleman
2005 Explorer XLT: Replacing OEM stereo question

While audiophiles don't like them, Crutchfield.com has a great website for
figuring out what you need to replace your factory head unit with an
aftermarket one. The website can tell you, and sell...
Forum: Ford Explorer October 22nd 06, 08:45 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 0
Posted By Captain Coleman
Rough Engine with squeak and slight coolant leak

I've got a 1997 OHV 4.0 V-6 2WD with 125k miles with the problem mentioned
in the subject line. The coolant leak started first and I've haven't been
able to isolate where it comes from. I just...
Forum: Ford Explorer October 19th 06, 02:21 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 5
Posted By Captain Coleman
1998 Ford Explorer, Engine squeak/chirp from top rear of engine.

I actually had to pull and replace the shaft (aka camshaft synchronizer).
The camshaft position sensor can also cause problems, and it's easy to check
if you can get to it. Unfortunately, my...
Forum: Ford Explorer October 6th 06, 05:54 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 6
Posted By Captain Coleman
Tire Pressure Sensor Warnings

Check your driver's side door sticker for correct tire pressure for your
vehicle. My Explorer specifies 30 PSI for the front tires and 35 PSI for
the rear. That's cold pressure, as in hasn't been...
Forum: Ford Explorer October 6th 06, 02:33 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 8
Posted By Captain Coleman
2005 Explorer: Disc won't eject from CD player

If it's under warranty (less than 36 months & 36K miles), take it to the
dealer and get it fixed. If you want to keep the factory unit, you might
find a replacement on ebay. Otherwise, do as the...
Forum: Ford Explorer September 29th 06, 03:07 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 5
Posted By Captain Coleman
1998 Ford Explorer, Engine squeak/chirp from top rear of engine.

I had the issue on my 97 OHV 4.0 and it turned out to be the camshaft
synchronizer. You can buy a mechanic's stethoscope to help isolate the
noise location, I used a piece of garden hose. The...
Forum: Ford Explorer September 28th 06, 03:40 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 2
Posted By Captain Coleman
can anyone tell me what this red flashing key is?

Probably related to the alarm/theft prevention system. Have you checked the
owner's manual to see what it says?

"John Bryan" > wrote in message...
Forum: Ford Explorer September 28th 06, 03:39 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 4
Posted By Captain Coleman
Burning smell

Well I discovered it is oil that is leading to my burning smell. The wife
had the truck out this evening and I noticed a small amount of engine oil on
the garage floor. The next step is to figure...
Forum: Ford Explorer September 21st 06, 10:02 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 1
Posted By Captain Coleman
98 Explorer door unlock

I had a problem a few years ago where my driver's door on my 97 wouldn't
unlock with the power lock or key. I could only open the door from the
inside. It turned out to be the latch part, the...
Forum: Ford Explorer September 9th 06, 05:51 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 4
Posted By Captain Coleman
My E85 Experience

E85 is a crock anyway. Besides the significantly decreased mileage, it
isn't any more environmentally friendly than plain old petrol, and may
actually be worse. Most of E85 comes from corn which...
Forum: Ford Explorer September 9th 06, 03:58 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 7
Posted By Captain Coleman
1999 Explorer clacking sound

While buying a higher octane gas may reduce/eliminate symptoms of pinging,
wouldn't fixing the problem be less costly in the long run? Here, 89 octane
runs about $.22/gallon more than 87 octane. ...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 48