Showing results 1 to 25 of 381
Search took 0.13 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: RoyJ
Forum: Jeep May 26th 10, 05:08 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 25
Posted By RoyJ
Noisy lifters

The common scuttlebut on Fram filters is that the internal valve on the
Fram lets the lifters leak down. Lets them get fairly noisy for a moment
or two while the pressure builds up.

On 5/26/2010...
Forum: Jeep February 17th 10, 03:06 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 8
Posted By RoyJ
I'd like to call it skill

Something like that. My story is something like this: I had a miserable
sinus infection, felt like death warmed over. Snowing like crazy,
decided to leave work early, go home, crawl in bed, wait...
Forum: Jeep January 14th 10, 12:50 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 9
Posted By RoyJ
Ouch! How not to pull a vehicle stuck in mud

A lot of times it's best to use a bit of thought. Will's comment about
pulling it out the way it went in applies to slivers in the hand as well
as Jeeps in the mud. Getting all the wheels free has...
Forum: Jeep January 13th 10, 02:40 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 9
Posted By RoyJ
Ouch! How not to pull a vehicle stuck in mud

I think it was less an issue of where to mount the tow strap and more an
issue of which direction they pulled. The wheel was stuck in some loose
gravel, not mud. No way it was going to be forced...
Forum: Jeep January 13th 10, 03:09 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 9
Posted By RoyJ
Ouch! How not to pull a vehicle stuck in mud

Looks like they broke the right front suspension arm or mount, allowed
the axle to rotate back, broke the left front at that point. Given that
the axle folded back, I'd say they hooked the strap to...
Forum: Jeep January 12th 10, 03:54 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 1
Posted By RoyJ
T-case shifted?

You will have to make the choice of driving vs towing for yourself.
Pretty hard to diagnose over the internet. A "gear type noise" could
cover a lot of issues.

When was the last time you checked...
Forum: Jeep January 10th 10, 09:37 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 4
Posted By RoyJ
Brake question

Also: see if you have brakes when it gets near to the floor. If so, you
may have lost the power boost. A stuck check valve, broken vac hose, or
ruptured diaphragm with do that. Fairly simple...
Forum: Jeep December 20th 09, 03:52 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 14
Posted By RoyJ
97 wrangler charging problem??

Floating grounds are ALWAYS a problem. Technically, if the alternator
has a solid ground through a wire, it SHOULD work. But if the case is
not properly grounded to the engine and then to the...
Forum: Jeep December 17th 09, 04:24 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 10
Posted By RoyJ
thanks you for your replies

My 'other' truck has full time 4wd, switches to the part time 4wd and
4wd-lo as requested. Jeep gets stored for the winter, too dangerous to
drive with the big mud tires.

Earle Horton wrote:
Forum: Jeep December 16th 09, 11:43 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 10
Posted By RoyJ
thanks you for your replies

The lady next door drove her S10 Blazer around in 4wd all winter, as
long as there was snow on the ground, every year. It "gave her a feeling
of confidence" she said. When asked, she did say it got...
Forum: Jeep December 16th 09, 03:19 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 10
Posted By RoyJ
thanks you for your replies

> great point.

Wow, someone agreed with me. Unheard of!! :)
If you drive 60+, why do you need 4WD in the first place?
> Unless of course your in some kind of snow race, in which case you better
Forum: Jeep December 16th 09, 02:45 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 10
Posted By RoyJ
thanks you for your replies

The drive train will take a much higher speed than the idiot behind the
wheel should be driving. Anything over 30 mph or 40 mph means that you
are driving too fast to need (or want) 4wd. If the...
Forum: Jeep December 14th 09, 03:51 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 2
Posted By RoyJ
what is 4WD

What Doug said. Especially the part about going further and faster but
not being able to stop better. Around here, after a major snowstorm, all
the vehicles parked in funny places are 4wd.

DougW...
Forum: Jeep November 6th 09, 03:58 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 7
Posted By RoyJ
Stripped Pressure Plate Bolt

You weren't supposed to admit to that!! :)

Jo Baggs wrote:
> "Will Honea" > wrote in message
>> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>>
>>> "Will...
Forum: Jeep November 1st 09, 01:08 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 14
Posted By RoyJ
Oil Filter Variance

The picture in the parts book shows a larger diameter threaded end that
fits the oil filter, a hex center, and a smaller diameter threaded end.
I don't do the V-8 AMC engines so this is from the...
Forum: Jeep November 1st 09, 12:26 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 14
Posted By RoyJ
Oil Filter Variance

Looks like it is just a threaded nipple. I'd take the thing off (takes a
deep socket), clean it up and have a look at what's wrong. You can often
clean up the threads without TOO much...
Forum: Jeep October 25th 09, 02:15 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 19
Posted By RoyJ
Hey, Mike Romain

> exposure of being separated from the seat of your car only occurs due to a
> mishap of some sort. There is no question that remaining in the seat of the
> car, or plane, does alot to improve the...
Forum: Jeep October 21st 09, 05:51 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 7
Posted By RoyJ
WANTED WILLY'S JEEP TO DRIVE AND ENJOY.

Must be a troll; filler for a name, webtv poster, no location, etc.

As PeterD mentioned, 'mint condition' and snowplow are not normally used
in the same sentence. Add to that anyplace that has snow...
Forum: Jeep September 30th 09, 02:49 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 17
Posted By RoyJ
1978 CJ-5 Manual Steering Box Adjustment

Keep in mind that adjusting it for wear in the center of the sector gear
will cause it to get really stiff at full lock each way. Don't push it
too far.

Jo Baggs wrote:
> "Jo Baggs"...
Forum: Jeep September 22nd 09, 01:40 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 36
Posted By RoyJ
Been A While Fabed New Bumpers

The swing axle Corvairs were really nasty in a turn. They would bite
like crazy until the tire finally grabbed enough, then it would lift the
whole back end up and spin or roll depending on which...
Forum: Jeep September 18th 09, 02:26 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 6
Posted By RoyJ
Body Lift Fabrication

2" kit is only $85.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16047_302_07.htm
It contains all the necessary parts, nothing to mess around with. Your
choice but you will do a lot of fussing around for not a...
Forum: Jeep September 17th 09, 12:39 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 18
Posted By RoyJ
Brain Storming New Bumper Modification

Sheesh. Look who came by for a visit. Where 'ya been Jeff?

Jeff Strickland wrote:
> "Coasty" > wrote in message
Forum: Jeep September 16th 09, 02:20 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 18
Posted By RoyJ
Brain Storming New Bumper Modification

Your bumper holds less than 2 gallons. A lot of work for very little
capacity. I did the same for my bumpers, fully pressure tested. Never used.

Coasty wrote:
> Was thinking about on board air,...
Forum: Jeep September 15th 09, 11:36 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 36
Posted By RoyJ
Been A While Fabed New Bumpers

But do look for the semi-gloss stuff. It's considerably tougher than the
gloss. version.

Will Honea wrote:
> DougW wrote:

Forum: Jeep September 15th 09, 03:25 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 36
Posted By RoyJ
Been A While Fabed New Bumpers

> I'm curious about the finish as well. My 21 year old bumpers are beginning
> to need refinishing and I can't decide on the best approach - paint, plate,
> or powder coat.

I finished my home brew...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 381