Showing results 1 to 25 of 96
Search took 0.93 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Mike Walsh
Forum: General January 7th 08, 04:35 PM Posted to rec.autos.misc
Replies: 6
Posted By Mike Walsh
Is my Subaru's starter giving me trouble or is it something else?

The neutral safety switch can keep it from starting.
The fact that it clicks but does not start and eventually starts after several tries is what lead me to suspect the starter.

miner_tom wrote:
Forum: General January 7th 08, 01:50 AM Posted to rec.autos.misc
Replies: 6
Posted By Mike Walsh
Is my Subaru's starter giving me trouble or is it something else?

Most likely a bad starter. These symptoms are typical of a high mileage starter just before it completely dies.

miner_tom wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is my first post to this ng and perhaps there are...
Forum: Technology December 31st 07, 08:34 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 5
Posted By Mike Walsh
CV Outer Boots on '92 Dodge Spirit

The boots can last the life of the vehicle under good conditions; i.e. no ice, snow, stones, etc.. The only boot I had to replace on one of my own vehicles was after it had become packed with ice and...
Forum: Technology December 15th 07, 02:33 PM Posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 25
Posted By Mike Walsh
Question about wheels and offsets

Even if the diameter, width, offset, etc. are the same, the shape of the wheel might need to be different to fit over a particular caliper. This was a common problem when american cars changed from...
Forum: Technology December 10th 07, 03:17 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By Mike Walsh
1997 ford thunderbird

On many vehicles it is normal for the fuel pump to run to pressurize the fuel system. The fan could run if the computer senses high temperature. Neither condition should keep the engine from...
Forum: Technology December 7th 07, 06:11 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 10
Posted By Mike Walsh
1964 impala ss

If the dwell stays the same the rubbing block is not wearing (the most common cause of timing change). Maybe the centrifugal advance or vacuum advance is kicking in.

Nick wrote:

> On Dec 6, 12:26...
Forum: Technology December 6th 07, 07:26 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 10
Posted By Mike Walsh
1964 impala ss

Does the timing become early or late? Does the dwell change?

Nick wrote:

> i gotta 64 impala ss and after driving it around for about a week i
> keep having to adjust the timing to fix the idle,...
Forum: Technology December 5th 07, 04:55 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By Mike Walsh
'Alternator circuit open or shorted,' 1993 Grand Caravan

The alternator could have an intermittent problem, maybe with the voltage regulater. If you have a voltmeter in the dash you can watch it for fluctuations. You can buy a voltmeter that plugs into the...
Forum: Technology November 26th 07, 04:50 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 15
Posted By Mike Walsh
Warm up car?

It is not nearly as important as it once was to warm up a car before driving because.
1) Electronically controlled fuel injection works much better when cold than carburetors.
2) The oil most people...
Forum: Technology November 24th 07, 02:58 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 1
Posted By Mike Walsh
knock sensor

You should have another mechanic look at it. A knock sensor is not a critical component. It seems to me that the engine management program should use a fail safe condition to keep the engine...
Forum: Technology November 23rd 07, 07:00 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By Mike Walsh
shifting with an automatic

Do you also smoke cigarettes and eat food while talking and drinking coffee or does driving distract you too much for that ?

Cloud19 wrote:

> The reason my wheels has auto is because I can't have...
Forum: Technology November 21st 07, 06:31 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By Mike Walsh
Crankshaft Position Sensor replacement - it's in but

That is how my Beretta was. The older it got the more the sensors went out of range and it took several cold to warm cycles to get it back in calibration after disconnecting the battery. Many sensors...
Forum: Technology November 19th 07, 11:07 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By Mike Walsh
Nissan Armada brakes

Mike Walsh wrote:

> Comboverfish wrote:
> >
> > On Nov 16, 11:25 am, Mike Walsh > wrote:
> > > Is there any trick to retract the pistons on the rear calipers of a Nissan...
Forum: Technology November 19th 07, 01:30 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By Mike Walsh
Crankshaft Position Sensor replacement

You can drive the truck without doing the learn procedure.

ajtessier wrote:

> Thanks for your quick response, I have a friend with a high quality scan
> tool (don't know the brand) but he's away...
Forum: Technology November 17th 07, 04:20 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By Mike Walsh
Nissan Armada brakes

Comboverfish wrote:

> On Nov 16, 11:25 am, Mike Walsh > wrote:
> > Is there any trick to retract the pistons on the rear calipers of a Nissan Armada? My niece has been told...
Forum: Technology November 16th 07, 05:25 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By Mike Walsh
Nissan Armada brakes

Is there any trick to retract the pistons on the rear calipers of a Nissan Armada? My niece has been told that she needs new rear pads and the rotors turned down. She wants me to look at it to save...
Forum: Technology November 16th 07, 05:04 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By Mike Walsh
92 ford escort

Check out the clutch release cylinder before you replace the clutch.

wrote:

> I have a 92 ford escort with 149k on it with a 1.9l motor. Its a 5
> speed and a very good...
Forum: Technology November 15th 07, 04:14 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 16
Posted By Mike Walsh
failed emission high NOx

Yes. Catalytic converters don't work when they are cold.

RZ wrote:

> My 89 Toyota pickup recently failed emission test for high NOx (1483
> std reading 2954).
> I checked out the egr system as...
Forum: Technology November 13th 07, 06:05 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By Mike Walsh
shifting with an automatic

Manually shifting an automatic transmission is as likely to increase the life of the transmission as to reduce it because you can reduce the number of times the transmission shifts. The best example...
Forum: Technology November 13th 07, 03:42 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By Mike Walsh
What is the purpose of a bypass hose?

If I recall correctly my 92 Beretta had a small hose going from the top of the thermostat housing to the reservoir. I assumed that it was to vent any air that accumulated in the housing, because it...
Forum: Technology November 2nd 07, 03:28 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By Mike Walsh
Long term penalty for using lower octane?

I don't know about Minnesota, but in many states where there is no government agency that tests gas from consumer pumps many gas stations charge you for 93 octane gas but give you 87 octane gas. That...
Forum: Technology November 2nd 07, 12:23 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech

G Mulcaster wrote:

> Hi Group,
>
> I'm wondering what the long term penalty is for using lower octane
> fuel than called for.
>
> If the owner's maunual calls for, say, 91 and 87 is used my
Forum: Technology October 27th 07, 04:07 PM Posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By Mike Walsh
Am I testing this coil correctly?

Daniel Who Wants to Know wrote:

> "Doc" > wrote in message
> > On Oct 26, 11:25 am, Mike Walsh...
Forum: Technology October 26th 07, 04:25 PM Posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech

Doc wrote:

> I'm trying to test this coil per the shop manual, hoping to get
> confirmation I'm doing the test correctly. Coil is for an '89 Toyota
> Cressida, 7MGE engine.
>
> The link is to a...
Forum: Technology October 26th 07, 04:08 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 3
Posted By Mike Walsh
Questions about Oxygen sensors.

John Hermann wrote:

> I bought all new sensors for my 1998 Chevy Suburban
> on Ebay in March of 2007. The sensors are suppose
> to be Borg Warner brand, but they arrived in plain
> white boxes...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 96