Showing results 1 to 25 of 64
Search took 0.16 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: tonyw
Forum: VW water cooled February 13th 13, 01:35 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 3
Posted By tonyw
1987 VW Golf Oil Pressure Light

On Wednesday, January 23, 2013 8:06:33 PM UTC-8, wrote:
> any chance you could get him to share his wiring mod?

We had a similar symptom with an '85 Golf 1.8L gas. After...
Forum: VW water cooled March 11th 12, 10:12 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 3
Posted By tonyw
Bellingham WA, USA. Source for VW tools?

Hi,
Portland Oregon. I'm planning my next trip to the US, this time I'll be in Portland OR. Anyone have recommendations on where to buy the Motive Power Bleeder (kit 0109) in downtown Portland?...
Forum: VW water cooled November 17th 11, 07:31 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On Nov 16, 5:54*pm, wrote:
> For one-person brake bleeding the only tool to use is the
> Power Bleeder by Motive Products *(www.motiveproducts.com) . *I've
>
> Todd

Hi Todd,
Forum: VW water cooled November 16th 11, 09:52 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 3
Posted By tonyw
Bellingham WA, USA. Source for VW tools?

Hi,
I'll be in Bellingham, WA USA and am looking for recommendations on stores selling tools I can't find in Canada. In particular I'm looking for an ABS hub adapter to remove front wheel bearings....
Forum: VW water cooled September 12th 10, 03:14 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 2
Posted By tonyw
Branded vs. Generic brake pads

On Sep 11, 1:10*am, gofastroger >
wrote:
> I wasn’t sure if I really needed to keep spending lots of money on maintenance. There is this
> website discbrakepads.net...
Forum: VW water cooled September 3rd 10, 03:24 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 4
Posted By tonyw
'90 Golf can't get rear drum back on after replacing pads

On Sep 2, 12:24*am, tonyw > wrote:
>...But for the life of me I can't get the drum back on, it
> appears the shoes aren't retracting enough.

I figured it out, there are front...
Forum: VW water cooled September 2nd 10, 08:24 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 4
Posted By tonyw
'90 Golf can't get rear drum back on after replacing pads

Hi,
Am replacing rear brake shoes. Had a leaky cylinder that was causing
the rear-right brake to lock up and the tire to skid on moderately
hard stops in wet weather. Anyways, I started with the...
Forum: VW water cooled July 28th 10, 03:53 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 4
Posted By tonyw
Is this clutch failure or something else?

On Jul 26, 9:05*am, "SFC" > wrote:
> Sounds like your pressure plate spring has some broken/worn fingers..Only
> way to check this is by removing it (lot of work!!)
Forum: VW water cooled July 26th 10, 06:59 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 6
Posted By tonyw
antenna Golf III GL

On Jul 14, 4:37*pm, zar > wrote:
> Anyone?

See if this works, it's from the Bentley manual for an A2 (1990 Golf)
but might have clues for A3 model. Verbatim from the...
Forum: VW water cooled July 26th 10, 05:03 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 4
Posted By tonyw
Is this clutch failure or something else?

Hi,
The car is a '90 Golf 1.8L gas engine with manual transmission and
225,000 km (141,000 miles). The clutch is original and 20 years old.
The car is our "travelling car" and has spent most of the...
Forum: VW water cooled July 16th 10, 06:14 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 2
Posted By tonyw
rattle

On Jul 15, 6:55*pm, B Briggs > wrote:
> Our old Golf *(1990 8v) is making a noise from below and it sounds
> like dishes rattling. *The car seems to be lagging and I hear a
Forum: VW water cooled July 11th 10, 08:21 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 3
Posted By tonyw
Wheel bearing or tire noise? Subtopic tire recommendation please.

On Jul 2, 9:17*pm, tonyw > wrote:
> Hi,
> * I've been trying to diagnose a droning noise at about 70 km/hr on my
> 1990 Golf *with *manual trans. (In Imperial, 70 is about 35...
Forum: VW water cooled July 7th 10, 04:55 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On Jul 3, 5:47*pm, John Henderson > wrote:
> Steering to the left will increase the load on both *right-side
> wheels - front and rear.

Thanks John,
That makes sense,...
Forum: VW water cooled July 3rd 10, 06:17 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 3
Posted By tonyw
Wheel bearing or tire noise? Subtopic tire recommendation please.

Hi,
I've been trying to diagnose a droning noise at about 70 km/hr on my
1990 Golf with manual trans. (In Imperial, 70 is about 35 mph). The
tires are Yokohama Avid Touring tires 175/70-13". The...
Forum: VW water cooled May 10th 10, 12:51 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 1
Posted By tonyw
Oil Pressure 85/86 1.6 TD Jetta

On May 6, 9:54*am, " > wrote:
> My 85 Jetta with 197xxx miles is getting the flashing/buzzing oil
> pressure light. Can I put a pice of electrical tape over the...
Forum: VW water cooled April 26th 10, 08:03 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 24
Posted By tonyw
Where has everyone gone?

Hi,
rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled used to be quite an active group.
Where has the discussion moved to? When I search for alternative
groups for watercooled VWs, I find mostly very narrow groups...
Forum: VW water cooled March 2nd 10, 06:22 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 4
Posted By tonyw
Golf mk2 stalling

On Feb 5, 9:31*am, B Briggs > wrote:
> My mk2 1.8 has been stalling. *Usually it's when I'm in town and have
> to stop quickly. *

Hi,
Hey, I've got the same model year. In...
Forum: VW water cooled December 21st 09, 07:55 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 2
Posted By tonyw
'90 Golf exhaust ball joint, spring? Leaking

On Dec 14, 6:11*pm, tonyw > wrote:
> The ball joint between the downpipe and cat converter is loose and making a lot of noise.
> thanks.

UPDATE.
My regular supplier of parts (VM...
Forum: VW water cooled December 15th 09, 03:11 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 2
Posted By tonyw
'90 Golf exhaust ball joint, spring? Leaking

Hi,
My '90 Golf has the original downpipe and cat converter. The ball
joint between the downpipe and cat converter is loose and making a lot
of noise. I've replaced the insides of the ball joint...
Forum: VW water cooled October 17th 09, 07:28 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 12
Posted By tonyw
'90 Golf faltering for a second. Transfer fuel pump?

On Oct 14, 5:10*am, "Wao" > wrote:
> The engine may falter many times in a row, but it keeps running and it's
> totally unpredictable. This issue may not show up for like a couple...
Forum: VW water cooled October 3rd 09, 04:58 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 12
Posted By tonyw
'90 Golf faltering for a second. Transfer fuel pump?

Hi,
Checking in with the gurus. I have a '90 Golf (gas engine, 8 valve)
that's been exhibiting short bouts of faltering on acceleration most
times when going uphill. The engine doesn't cut out...
Forum: VW water cooled April 10th 09, 01:05 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 9
Posted By tonyw
'90 Golf. Re-installed distributor, engine won't start. Help.

Hi,
I've searched the discussions for VW and for autos in general with
no luck. Vehicle is a '90 Golf 8 valve gas engine. When doing a visual
inspection of the inside of the distributor cap and...
Forum: VW water cooled April 6th 09, 04:26 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 35
Posted By tonyw
cv joint? whomp whomp whomp when under power

Hi Dave,
The whomp whomp and steering wheel wobble are more recent than the
CV joint job. The CV joint repair resulted from a torn outer boot. I
cleaned and re-lubricated the inner and outer CV...
Forum: VW water cooled January 1st 09, 03:01 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 4
Posted By tonyw
Comments on Innova 3100 OBD II reader?

On Dec 31, 3:01*pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1" >
wrote:
> This would make it limited and I would prefer if you purchased something a
> little more robust. Buy from...
Forum: VW water cooled December 31st 08, 10:00 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 4
Posted By tonyw
Comments on Innova 3100 OBD II reader?

Hi. Any comments on the Innova 3100 OBD II reader for working on VW's?
Canadian Tire have it on sale at $89 (regular $199 CDN). I was
thinking of getting one.

Currently our cars are an '85 Golf and...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 64