Showing results 1 to 25 of 78
Search took 0.22 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Scott Buchanan
Forum: BMW March 28th 08, 11:31 AM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 5
Posted By Scott Buchanan
Center bearing failed quickly on E30

I am an industrial mechanic. I work with bearings all the time. Most
bearings fail due to improper installation. The biggest offence is
transferring the pressing-on load through the balls of the...
Forum: BMW March 28th 08, 10:53 AM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 2
Posted By Scott Buchanan
1983 320i Speed Relay

I see. Thank You. After looking at the drawing some more I see that when the
speed relay closes and with the WOT closed there is a path to ground. I can
test the relay with a light.

"Bill Bradley"...
Forum: BMW March 25th 08, 11:09 AM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 2
Posted By Scott Buchanan
1983 320i Speed Relay

I am testing the Lambda (O2 sensor) control unit to make sure that it works
right. The drawing from Alldata shows the WOT switch connected to the speed
relay. It also states that the speed relay...
Forum: BMW March 24th 08, 01:13 AM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 4
Posted By Scott Buchanan
advice for e39 (2002 525) and door seals

Does the owners manual say anything about using silicone grease on the
seals?

> wrote in message
Forum: BMW January 27th 08, 03:58 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 0
Posted By Scott Buchanan
320i Lambda Drawing Request

I am trying to adapt the Jetronic lambda controller from a 1983 BMW 320i
into a Mercedes 230CE, a gray market car. This is to an aftermarket
controller that has failed.
The trouble is that I need a...
Forum: Technology December 16th 07, 11:39 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By Scott Buchanan
new ethanol studies

Scott: What does "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
mean?

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message
> clifto >...
Forum: Technology December 7th 07, 12:06 AM Posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.pontiac,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By Scott Buchanan
0W-40 OK Follow Up

I went ahead and put the 0W-40 synthetic oil into my 1995 Grand Am four
cylinder.
As expected the hot idle pressure went up. It went from about 12 PSI to
about 20 PSI. So I achieved my goal. The...
Forum: Technology December 1st 07, 03:48 PM Posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.pontiac,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 26
Posted By Scott Buchanan
Low Oil Pressu OW-40 OK?

It idles at 800 RPM. So at 900 it is right at 15 PSI. I'll switch to the
0w-40 and see what happens. I'll report the results.

"Scott Buchanan" > wrote in...
Forum: Technology November 30th 07, 11:39 AM Posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.pontiac,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 26
Posted By Scott Buchanan
Low Oil Pressu OW-40 OK?

Good question. I looked that up. The one section does state that the low
pressure indicator is to show at 4 PSI. The engine specification section
states 15 PSI minimum at 900 RPM. I don't know what...
Forum: Technology November 29th 07, 11:24 AM Posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.pontiac,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 26
Posted By Scott Buchanan
Low Oil Pressu OW-40 OK?

I don't know about supposed to. The needle sits right on the top of the red
mark which is below about 10-12 PSI. I checked the accuracy of the dash
gage with a good mechanical gage so I trust what I...
Forum: Technology November 29th 07, 12:12 AM Posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.pontiac,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 26
Posted By Scott Buchanan
Low Oil Pressu OW-40 OK?

Good response. I guess that I should have asked if it is a problem. I just
don't like to see the needle at the red mark. Especially when I am stuck in
traffic at idle for extended periods of time. I...
Forum: Technology November 28th 07, 12:12 PM Posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.pontiac,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 26
Posted By Scott Buchanan
Low Oil Pressu OW-40 OK?

1995 Grand AM four cylinder 150,000 miles.
Burns about 1qt of oil in 4000 miles.
No oil leaks after re-torqing cam covers.

The car runs flawlessly. The oil pressure goes up to 80 PSI when cold...
Forum: Technology November 17th 07, 10:20 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 16
Posted By Scott Buchanan
failed emission high NOx

A poor choice of words on my part: I should have called it a sales display
that is on the counters of several auto part stores. You put a Fram filter
on then note how high the ping pong ball floats...
Forum: Technology November 17th 07, 01:36 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 16
Posted By Scott Buchanan
failed emission high NOx

How would this filter reduce emissions? I've seen the test stands that show
how air flows better through a K&N air filter but I don't think that they
will remove as small of particles as a normal...
Forum: Technology November 6th 07, 05:58 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 22
Posted By Scott Buchanan
What is this tape called that i'm thinking of?

I know it as stretch tape. Go here http://www.mcmaster.com/ and use their
search engine. You'll probably find just what you are looking for. I use it
for supplies for work and I think that will sell...
Forum: Technology October 21st 07, 06:07 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 3
Posted By Scott Buchanan
Pontiac Computer

My '95 has given this code for years. It runs flawlessly, gets good mileage
and passes emissions. If yours runs ok, don't worry about it. What scan tool
are you using?

"MCL"...
Forum: Technology October 20th 07, 06:24 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By Scott Buchanan
1980 Datsun 310 intermittent stalling

This was a long time ago so I don't remember all the details. I had a
carbureted Honda that did the same thing. There was a vacuum leak. I think a
hose or cap had popped off. This caused icing at the...
Forum: Technology September 21st 07, 05:38 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By Scott Buchanan
driving technique

That must annoy drivers behind her in traffic.

What are HCH and HAH?

"john" > wrote in message
> My sister has a very...
Forum: Technology August 21st 07, 05:15 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By Scott Buchanan
Acetone

How much acetone did you mix with the gasoline?

"Hank" > wrote in message
> I just returned from a long (230 miles) drive, to visit...
Forum: Technology August 8th 07, 05:29 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 25
Posted By Scott Buchanan
Battery on Concrete / Water-Witching same?

My understanding of this practice stems from long ago when batteries were
made in glass jars. The fear was that if you set it on concrete you could
break the glass thus destroying the battery.

I...
Forum: Technology July 28th 07, 06:50 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 3
Posted By Scott Buchanan
CORRECTION: 1993 Accord AC Problem

It will not suck in. Even though the low pressure side is called the suction
side, there is still pressure there. The more correct term is "Low Pressure
Side" or "Return". The can should be...
Forum: Technology July 28th 07, 06:33 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By Scott Buchanan
Power steering question

The pressure in my Mercedes is 65 BAR which is about 975 PSI. Other models
are 85 BAR 1275 PSI.

Hoses fail. If all else is ok, there is nothing else wrong.

I like using Vavloline synthetic blend...
Forum: Technology July 28th 07, 06:17 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By Scott Buchanan
TIG Welders......Test Results to be posted.

I am told that the pulse feature makes it easier to get a good bead.

"Marsh Monster" > wrote in message
Forum: Technology May 28th 07, 05:09 PM Posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.pontiac,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 1
Posted By Scott Buchanan
Blow Down Testing

1995 Pontiac Grand AM four cylinder.

I understand how to do cylinder blow down testing but do not know how to
interpret the results. I would imagine if it lost no pressure, that would be
good.
What...
Forum: Technology April 12th 07, 04:21 AM Posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.pontiac,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 25
Posted By Scott Buchanan
3800 RWD Questions

1985. Four speed manual transmission. No A/C. No cruse. Cloth seats.

Do you know about these cars?

"Bon·ne·ville" > wrote in...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 78