Showing results 1 to 25 of 278
Search took 0.13 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: John Burns
Forum: BMW June 4th 10, 12:58 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 3
Posted By John Burns
Not imported from Germany?

> I'm thinking of buying a 2001 E38. I'm located in the US. A couple I've
> seen have been imported from countries other than Germany (one from Italy,
> one from Ecuador). This seems unusual to...
Forum: BMW April 12th 10, 09:34 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 4
Posted By John Burns
E36 M52 overheating slightly

Think I'll pull the rad and give it a back flush. Ran the car today with
no heater and no problems. But I'm not 100% happy.

As for the dead hose it was 14 years old :-) That back hose has a
weakness...
Forum: BMW April 11th 10, 06:59 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 4
Posted By John Burns
E36 M52 overheating slightly

Funny thing happened today. For the first time in well over six months
it was warm
enough to drive with the heating turned off in my '96 328i. In fact I
think the
E30 will leave it's hibernation in...
Forum: BMW March 31st 10, 02:25 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 6
Posted By John Burns
E numbers?

You'll find a guide on my site's BMW page :-)

http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/bmw.html

> Just curious, but is there some logic behind BMW E-numbers. I was just
> passing by this group and I see...
Forum: BMW March 24th 10, 12:39 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 24
Posted By John Burns
1999 E39 Transmission question

> PS, the Transmission guy said that becuase the car was sitting for a couple
> of years I might want to have them change the fluid and filter. Should I?

Most certainly. Excellent advice.

--
Who...
Forum: BMW March 15th 10, 02:53 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw

> Crankcase pressure is normal? If you open the EGR system up to air what
> happens?

I'm guessing it's a UK car so there's no EGR system, just a pipe from
the valve cover to the inlet...
Forum: BMW March 11th 10, 09:13 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 17
Posted By John Burns
'00 3 Series Transmission

> I've converted a carburated engine to MPFI (by using a kit conversion), so
> I'm pretty familiar with my tools, but converting an automatic to a manual
> isn't in the tea leaves for me.

I only did...
Forum: BMW March 11th 10, 09:10 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 17
Posted By John Burns
'00 3 Series Transmission

> I'd say it's rather easier to convert an older car to manual than a later
> one where the electronics of engine and gearbox communicate. Unless you
> had a complete donor vehicle and lots of time....
Forum: BMW March 11th 10, 12:37 AM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 17
Posted By John Burns
'00 3 Series Transmission

> Is the transmission problem fatal? I think that I'm finding this is a
> serious defect. I have another 2000 3 Series, and I'm giving consideration
> to getting my second one. I was expecting a...
Forum: BMW March 9th 10, 01:27 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 17
Posted By John Burns
'00 3 Series Transmission

Consesus is that these boxes need new fluid every 60k miles, it's not
lifetime as BMW state. So new fluid may well help. Sounds like you have
a sticking solenoid, could be damaged or just dirty.

> I...
Forum: BMW February 11th 10, 07:21 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 3
Posted By John Burns
front end noise

> I have a 96 750il... Love it.
> Ever since I got it (3 years ago) everytime I go over a speed bump, down a
> rough road or hole in the road I get a noise from the front end as if the
> ball joints...
Forum: BMW November 29th 09, 06:27 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 2
Posted By John Burns
88' 735i Won't Start

I'd try a new Motronic relay first.

If you suspect the Motronic DME is bad open it up and look underneath
the circuit board. One of mine was fixed by reflowing a bad solder joint
on the main output...
Forum: BMW October 13th 09, 01:07 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 20
Posted By John Burns
Any Wagon drivers out there?

> Looking for folks to share their 3 and 5 series wagon experiences. I'm
> currently driving a 330ci convertible, but with one child and another
> on the way, it's just not cutting it any more. Time...
Forum: BMW August 26th 09, 12:20 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 1
Posted By John Burns
Ugliest BMW yet?

Do a google on "bmw 5 gran turismo". That has to be the ugliest modern
BMW I've ever seen!

And who's it aimed at? There are DVD players for the rear passengers but
the centre console means you can't...
Forum: BMW June 8th 09, 05:41 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 3
Posted By John Burns
Hartge BMW X6 styling pack

A brown paper bag would be a good upgrade for the X6.

> There’s no shortage of tuners offering upgrades for the new BMW X6, and

Email:...
Forum: BMW May 19th 09, 01:04 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 1
Posted By John Burns
3 Series Winter Snow Performance?

Never tried adjusting it, but with good snow tyres they're pretty good
anyway.

> Does anyone when putting on snow tire/wheels adjust the negative camber
> to neutral? If so, does it help snow...
Forum: BMW April 14th 09, 11:55 AM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 4
Posted By John Burns
318 hunting on acceleration

I agree with Scott, good chance it's a vacuum leak. Most likely one is a
ripped hose from the throttle body to the air flow sensor (the biggest
hose in the enge bay), you'll likely need to flex it to...
Forum: BMW April 1st 09, 09:12 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 9
Posted By John Burns
2001 X5

> I'm looking at a 2001 X5 with 90k miles. Currently own a 1992 E34 which
> I'm very pleased with. Any special things I should watch out for. I know
> the 2001 was the second year of the model,...
Forum: BMW March 27th 09, 05:25 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 21
Posted By John Burns
Feedback on styling!

> That surprises me! With all of the trouble early adopters of turbochargers
> had before they figured out how to connect a coler, I'm surprised that BMW
> would even offer a turbo without a...
Forum: BMW March 26th 09, 11:12 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 21
Posted By John Burns
Feedback on styling!

> I don't generally care for the Z4 anyhow, but this one looks pretty good
> until you get to that God awful wing thing on the back. I like the tire
> package. I've not seen the hardtop version of a...
Forum: BMW March 23rd 09, 12:21 AM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 20
Posted By John Burns
X3 bad fuel economy

I totally agree :-)

But for the record my old 635CSi had the same mpg before and after it's
auto to manual conversion.

> But many prefer a good manual because they enjoy the challenge of well
Forum: BMW March 14th 09, 11:03 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 10
Posted By John Burns
Advice for servicing air impact wrench?

> For the usual spanners and sockets, etc, Halfords Pro range takes some
> beating. And has a no quibble life time warranty.

I'd had a few problems with their sockets rounding off nuts, but...
Forum: BMW March 14th 09, 05:48 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 10
Posted By John Burns
Advice for servicing air impact wrench?

Just stripped it, was prety clean inside. Gave is a good lube and it's
better than it's ever been :-) Take off wheel nuts no problem now.

Email:...
Forum: BMW March 14th 09, 01:23 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 10
Posted By John Burns
Advice for servicing air impact wrench?

> I just have to spend the big bucks on getting a professional air gun to use
> with my air tank tools .. which is why I think I have the problem, it is
> cheap and chinese. Gonna get a Yank gun...
Forum: BMW March 13th 09, 08:34 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 10
Posted By John Burns
Advice for servicing air impact wrench?

I have a Blue Point air impact wrench that's not give the sort of torque
it should, it struggles to undo wheel nuts. It's running from a decent
size air tank at 6 bar.

I plan to strip it down and...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 278