Showing results 1 to 25 of 67
Search took 2.08 seconds.
Forum: Technology March 14th 08, 01:14 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By [email protected]
92 accord transmition problems

It sounds like they are complaining about slow shifting. Right now
I'd blame cold weather since they haven't given us enough details to
really say much else.
More details would be things like:

How...
Forum: Technology March 13th 08, 04:17 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 21
Posted By [email protected]
Car repair advice needed

You have a crappy mechanic. Go find a good one, or better yet, do it
yourself (and use good parts, not crap from Autozone/Advance Auto/Pep
Boys/Kraken, etc.).
Forum: Technology March 7th 08, 01:21 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By [email protected]
Possible to bench test an Idle Speed Control Valve?

> It is nothing more than a solenoid with a monitor circuit in it. Throw a
> square wave through it at 12 volts and it should extend and retract on
> the pulses. It doesn't move much. Usually they no...
Forum: Technology March 5th 08, 08:05 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By [email protected]
Possible to bench test an Idle Speed Control Valve?

I just replaced the one on my car, a 1995 Escort, and I'm curious as
to how this thing is supposed to work. the resistance across the coil
is right, but when I apply voltages to it (anywhere from...
Forum: Technology February 8th 08, 06:34 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 15
Posted By [email protected]
Catalytic Converter thefts.

And I point and laugh at these SUV owners who get their catalytic
converter stolen.
Forum: Technology January 15th 08, 02:39 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By [email protected]
Valve cover bolt thread pitch and diameter??

Just take one off and take it to either an auto parts store or (better
yet) a hardware store that carries Metric (proforably stainless steel)
bolts. Some Ace hardware stores carry these items. ...
Forum: Technology December 31st 07, 05:00 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 16
Posted By [email protected]
Can a GM Harmonic Balancer be fixed?

On Dec 27, 7:53*pm, wrote:
> no, cant be fixed. Did you try Dorman?

Probably won't last a week of you use Dorman made in China crap. Even
their fluid filler tops don't stay on!
Forum: Technology November 28th 07, 04:07 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 11
Posted By [email protected]
Turn Signal Malfunction

You have a burnt out light bulb.
Forum: Technology November 28th 07, 03:56 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By [email protected]
Replace 1994 Escort Fuel Pump at 200,000?

I would not replace the fuel pump unless I had a good reason to do
so. 200,000 miles is not a good reason. That and as someone else
stated, replacement parts are often junk. A better place to ask...
Forum: Technology November 26th 07, 04:55 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 15
Posted By [email protected]
Warm up car?

Warming up your car is a waste of gas. Some people still do it
because back when cars had carbeurators, they ran like crap in the
cold.
Forum: Technology November 21st 07, 06:55 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 5
Posted By [email protected]
Does anyone make a good shock/strut anymore?

I've had good experiences with both Monroe and Gabriel. I'm not sure
that I would judge a company by a $15 shock either. The ones I use
(struts though) cost much more than that,
Forum: Technology November 14th 07, 09:13 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By [email protected]
1992 Ford Mustang transmission.

> At least I've managed to talk him out of going to
> AAMCO. He's looking for local independent transmission repair shops
> right now.

You are some girlfriend! Not many would know to aviod AAMCO....
Forum: Technology November 14th 07, 08:15 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By [email protected]
98 corolla timing chain tensioner

Timing chain or timing belt?

>Can I buy a galvanized titanium or carbon fiber reinforced composite timing chain tensioner anywhere that will last longer?

No! There are tons of stuff for my car...
Forum: Technology October 25th 07, 07:28 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 3
Posted By [email protected]
News Car for Mitsubishi Lancer

Yeah, but I'm sure that the reliability will still suck.
Forum: Technology October 15th 07, 08:11 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By [email protected]
auto parts returns/advanced auto

Maybe you should try actually inspecting your brakes before blindly
buying brake parts that you might have to return.
Forum: Technology October 15th 07, 08:05 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 18
Posted By [email protected]
Ford Escort Overheats, Won't Restart

If you had actually filled up the radiator like you were supposed to
you wont' have to bleed it off as suggested (at least I never have).
Forum: Technology October 15th 07, 08:01 PM Posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By [email protected]
Question for Qslim, MDT, etc, 2005 Scion tC

Definatley revving too high. My Escort would be below 3000RPM at
those speeds.
Forum: Technology September 20th 07, 08:51 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By [email protected]
How hard to remove / replace fender on Caprice?

If it weren't for the rusty attachement hardware problem, this would
be relatively easy. If it were mine, I'd remove the fender, bring it
into my basement and fix it there over a number of days. ...
Forum: Technology September 17th 07, 05:45 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 5
Posted By [email protected]
What sort of tape for rust hole repair ?

If it were my car, I'd replace the fender. If you are looking for a
temporary fix, don't do it, you are olny wasting you time. Maybe you
should just remove the fender completely?
Forum: Technology August 6th 07, 08:20 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By [email protected]
Told to change 'arms' otherwise wasting my money...

I suspect that the mechanic is telling you the truth, and they should
be able to show you this. On my car, I have "tie rod ends" that if
worn will cause the same problem. And if they are really tie...
Forum: Technology August 3rd 07, 05:16 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By [email protected]
Looking For Those With Experience With Hercules Tires

Just check to make sure that they are not made in China.
Forum: Technology August 2nd 07, 04:46 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 1
Posted By [email protected]
97 Dodge Stratus rough idle...help needed!

Check for vacuum leaks. Not just hoses, check everything that uses
vacuum. I use a MityVac for this.
Clean the IAC and throttle body. Clean the MAF sensor.
Forum: Technology July 31st 07, 09:02 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 18
Posted By [email protected]
Question About Slotting The Struts In Order to Get Wheels Aligned

If it still have the original struts in it, then I would replace them
first. Unless the car ahs really low miles, or something.
Forum: Technology July 30th 07, 06:58 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By [email protected]
CV Joints--Problems / Symptoms

Interesting reading on Wkipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constant_velocity_joint

"Faultfinding and diagnosis

Constant velocity joints are usually reliable and largely trouble-
free. The two...
Forum: Technology July 30th 07, 06:48 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By [email protected]
CV Joints--Problems / Symptoms

> Do you have any road symptoms?

I was wondering if the looseness I can feel in the axlw/shaft might
make me think that my tires need to be balanced, when they don't.
That type of symptom.
Showing results 1 to 25 of 67