Showing results 1 to 25 of 51
Search took 0.06 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Al Williams
Forum: Ford Explorer August 28th 12, 05:00 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 2
Posted By Al Williams
98 transfer case question

Have you changed the fluid in the transfer case recently - they are not
sealed. I would do that first...

--
Allan Williams

"don" > wrote in message...
Forum: Ford Explorer September 16th 10, 05:23 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 11
Posted By Al Williams
Likely the alternator?

If the alternator is putting out 14 volts across the battery when the truck
is running then it should be OK. If the battery does not hold with the
truck off then it's the battery. Sounds like the...
Forum: Ford Explorer August 26th 10, 04:23 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 7
Posted By Al Williams
1999 Limited

My 98 Eddie Bauer is still going at 110,000 miles. Biggest repair was
replacing an incorrectly installed air conditioning manifold that had rubbed
on something and leaked. Next would be the...
Forum: Ford Explorer March 19th 10, 10:22 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 1
Posted By Al Williams
AWD operation question

If it's the "Intelligent 4WD system" then it doesn't have a mechanical lock
according to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_Trac

That setting sounds like it tells the computer to lock it...
Forum: Ford Explorer October 26th 09, 06:08 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 3
Posted By Al Williams
Instrument panel BRAKE light on - FIXED

Found the issue so post here as an FYI. It was the emergency brake. The
return spring on the brake pedal when disengaged had gotten weak over the
years and was not consistently depressing the...
Forum: Ford Explorer September 22nd 09, 06:21 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 1
Posted By Al Williams
2002 froozen doors

Before taking the door apart I'd look at the latch on the door edge and
ensure it is luibricated and moves properly when you pull on the handles and
lock/unlock - compare it to a good door. Older...
Forum: Ford Explorer August 10th 09, 09:52 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 7
Posted By Al Williams
Steering Rack 97 Explorer

Just curious - is it really OK to switch to PS fluid? My manual on my '98
EB says to use Mercon ATF. I too have some minor leaks...

--
Allan Williams

PeterD wrote:
Forum: Ford Explorer July 15th 09, 06:47 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 3
Posted By Al Williams
98 explorer door ajar, int lights stay on

Yeah, the switches are inside the door latches themselves. You need to take
the door apart to get at them and to bypass the connector. Replacing the
latches isn't fun - I've had to get a couple...
Forum: Ford Explorer May 21st 09, 04:17 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 5
Posted By Al Williams
MAF issues

Are you using a Torx T20 bit with a hole in the center?

See:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/CleanMAF.html

--
Allan Williams
Forum: Ford Explorer September 23rd 08, 11:38 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

If you google "Average Period of Car Ownership" you will see some numbers.
Looks like it varies by country, Canada was 8.4 years, Japan 7.1, Germany
only 3.5. No doubt with the "renting of cars"...
Forum: Ford Explorer July 8th 08, 07:33 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 3
Posted By Al Williams
93 ford a4ld

Is it 4WD? Could be the transfer case if it is.

Your shop should be dealing with it, if the new tranny didn't fix it then
they need to diagnose the issue better...

--
Allan Williams
Forum: Ford Explorer June 27th 08, 09:32 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

It should be bolted in at both ends. I've had both of mine break on my 98
over the years. Easy to and cheap to replace yourself (once you get them
loose...).

--
Allan...
Forum: Ford Explorer March 27th 08, 05:08 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

1) Select your car at crutchfield.com and let them tell you:
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Category/GroupMenu.aspx?g=399&c=3&tp=12

2) You don't mention the year, but those units have been...
Forum: Ford Explorer March 11th 08, 08:06 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 6
Posted By Al Williams
Jim Warman, Cruise Control

Sure, I'll check with them. The cruise has been working fine with the
harness they put in so I'd hate to go back to no cruise (of course an engine
fire may be worse...)

As for Edmonton I'm a...
Forum: Ford Explorer February 22nd 08, 07:24 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 6
Posted By Al Williams
Jim Warman, Cruise Control

Is this the recall for the cruise "brake switch detector" near the
reservoirs?

I had my 98 Ex done last year - they just added a inline fuse of some sort.
Are you saying this fix isn't working or...
Forum: Ford Explorer February 19th 08, 06:53 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 7
Posted By Al Williams
94 Auto Door Locks Not

Whoops. C'mon, it's that new math I guess...

--
Allan Williams

"Jim Warman" > wrote in message
> Allan.... Is there a chance you...
Forum: Ford Explorer February 13th 08, 05:32 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 5
Posted By Al Williams
Maintenance pdf.

Did you try the Ford...
Forum: Ford Explorer February 11th 08, 09:35 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 5
Posted By Al Williams
95 Explorer battery discharging

If the battery is self-discharging without being fully hooked up (the neg
was disconnected you indicated) then it's time for a new battery I would
think...

--
Allan Williams

"Jay"...
Forum: Ford Explorer February 5th 08, 05:33 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 2
Posted By Al Williams
New Spark Plugs

They are hard to get out at any mileage - on my SOHC the pass firewall one
was impossible. I ended up at the dealer for this one as they had the right
tools and the price wasn't bad in a "tune-up...
Forum: Ford Explorer February 5th 08, 05:25 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 2
Posted By Al Williams
New Shocks on Mountaineer

Suggested by whom? The person selling them? Seems little early to be
replacing shocks unless they are obviously bad or leaking so make sure you
get a 2nd opinion.

--
Allan Williams

"Daniel...
Forum: Ford Explorer January 25th 08, 05:17 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 3
Posted By Al Williams
99 Ford Explorer seems to slip in bad weather

The control trac (auto-mode) is supposed to react to wheel slip and engage
4WD, perhaps that is what you are feeling. If you switch it to 4WD
full-time does the "slippage" go away? (don't run it...
Forum: Ford Explorer January 11th 08, 09:24 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 7
Posted By Al Williams
New Pads and Rotors

I'm surprised you need them so soon, with my 98 I just did the brakes (pads
only, rotors were fine) last year and it had 90,000 miles. Pretty sure it
uses the same brake design as yours but maybe...
Forum: Ford Explorer December 10th 07, 08:08 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 2
Posted By Al Williams
Frozen Door Locks 2003 Mountaineer

You don't really give enough info for people to help. What part is
affected - the key is stuck?, the keyless entry doesn't unlock?, the door
handle is stuck, does the power lock move the lock...
Forum: Ford Explorer December 3rd 07, 08:46 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 11
Posted By Al Williams
Odd Sound and Vibration when turning

Lots of old posts on this issue - "Rear end whining" was a common complaint
on the 2002-03's. There was a TSB on it as well. If it wasn't fixed by the
original owner you are probably out of luck...
Forum: Ford Explorer November 27th 07, 12:36 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 1
Posted By Al Williams
Question about removing console

Just guessing, but I'm thinking most of the wiring there is probably for the
rear seat heat/radio controls on the back of the console which are on the
high end models. Look for a low end model...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 51