Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
Search took 0.00 seconds.
Forum: Jeep September 3rd 06, 11:44 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 68
Posted By [email protected]
Oil-filter removal (2004 Jeep Liberty)

(I'm amazed that there were 56 responses to my original posting!)

I ended up taking my Liberty to EZ-Lube to do the oil change.

Normally, they'd charge my $32 for the oil change and...
Forum: Jeep August 30th 06, 02:35 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 68
Posted By [email protected]
Oil-filter removal (2004 Jeep Liberty)

Hi Billy Ray,

Because both tools you refer to grab the oil filter around its middle,
their "handles" are to the SIDE of the filter.
But, in a Liberty, there's no room at the SIDE of the filter to...
Forum: Jeep August 29th 06, 07:58 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 68
Posted By [email protected]
Oil-filter removal (2004 Jeep Liberty)

For the "10784 Draper", see:

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=13177&Referrer=AffWindow&source=affwin

but I don't think there's enough room around the oil filter to swing
the handle.

Forum: Jeep August 29th 06, 07:01 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 68
Posted By [email protected]
Oil-filter removal (2004 Jeep Liberty)

Hi Billy Ray,

No, the strap does NOT slip when I try to turn it. I've used quite a
bit of force but the filter still didn't budge. I really don't want to
turn it harder because that may collapse...
Forum: Jeep August 29th 06, 05:11 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 68
Posted By [email protected]
Oil-filter removal (2004 Jeep Liberty)

Removing the oil filter is a bear! Once you push your arm between the
tie-rod and the fan shroud and reach the filter, there's no room to get
a good grip on the filter to screw it...
Forum: Jeep August 28th 06, 06:14 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 68
Posted By [email protected]
Oil-filter removal (2004 Jeep Liberty)

I had to use the "removal" tool to install the oil filter because it's
hard to squeeze one's arm between the fan-shroud and the tie-rod, reach
the oil filter and screw it on -- there's just not...
Forum: Jeep August 28th 06, 03:42 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 68
Posted By [email protected]
Oil-filter removal (2004 Jeep Liberty)

The removal tool did NOT destroy the oil filter; it just rounded-off
the flutes on the filter.

Now, I need to find something that will grab onto the filter so it can
be unscrewed.
Forum: Jeep August 28th 06, 03:09 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 68
Posted By [email protected]
Oil-filter removal (2004 Jeep Liberty)

An oil-filter cap (or cup) fits snuggly over the fluted-end of the
oil-filter. For a pic, see:

http://www.toolweb.com/euitemlist.cfm?catID=26241&subcatID=44344

The cap has a square hole so a 3/8"...
Forum: Jeep August 28th 06, 02:24 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 68
Posted By [email protected]
Oil-filter removal (2004 Jeep Liberty)

The first time I tried to change the oil-filter on my new Jeep Liberty,
I couldn't get the oil-filter off so, after struggling with it for
hours (it seemed), I ended up taking it to a lube place. (I...
Forum: Jeep August 28th 06, 12:42 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 68
Posted By [email protected]
Oil-filter removal (2004 Jeep Liberty)

I tried the strap-type oil-filter wrench shown at:

http://automotive.hardwarestore.com/...h--635959.aspx

I put the nylon strap around the filter and attached one end of an 1/2"
extension-bar to the...
Forum: Jeep August 27th 06, 09:14 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 68
Posted By [email protected]
Oil-filter removal (2004 Jeep Liberty)

The handle on the "KD Tools Universal Oil Filter Wrench" may prevent
its use because there's not enough room around the oil filter.

I found a similar strap/band-type wrench (see below) operated by...
Forum: Jeep August 27th 06, 07:56 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 68
Posted By [email protected]
Oil-filter removal (2004 Jeep Liberty)

The last time I replaced the oil filter, I left the oil-filter cap on
the fluted end of the filter. Now, the oil-filter cap just spins on the
filter. I've gotten the cap off but the fluted "corners"...
Showing results 1 to 12 of 12