Showing results 1 to 25 of 32
Search took 0.82 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: IR
Forum: VW water cooled February 13th 08, 12:22 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 0
Posted By IR
98 Jetta glove box latch

98 Jetta GL glove box handle. It came off,
any possibilities of DYI fix?
Forum: VW water cooled December 15th 07, 09:56 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 8
Posted By IR
Fuel Filter

Ok, thanks everybody for letting me know I'm a complete
idiot, one can never underestimate oneself when true
humility is sought...

I guess I just need to spend some quality time lying under
the car...
Forum: VW water cooled December 15th 07, 09:28 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 8
Posted By IR
Fuel Filter

Dioclese wrote:
> "IR" > wrote in message
>> I installed a new main fuel filter in the same direction as the
>> previous one, although it...
Forum: VW water cooled December 13th 07, 12:14 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 8
Posted By IR
Fuel Filter

I installed a new main fuel filter in the same direction as the
previous one, although it seems to contradict my Bentley.
The Bentley wants the fuel going towards the tank.

I've got mine going...
Forum: VW water cooled December 7th 07, 10:04 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 5
Posted By IR
Fuel Filter direction, 90 Carat

Regal953 wrote:

> AFAIK fuel filters are in front of the pump flowing towards the
> injectors. You just got the wrong filter. I diagnosed a 944 stalling
> condition, it would stall after a few...
Forum: VW water cooled December 6th 07, 11:47 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 5
Posted By IR
Fuel Filter direction, 90 Carat

I installed a new main fuel filter in the same direction as the
previous one, although it seems to contradict my Bentley.
The Bentley wants the fuel going towards the fuel pump where
the power and...
Forum: VW water cooled September 16th 07, 09:10 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 4
Posted By IR
90 Carat starter relay or solenoid problem

Thanks Dave/Al, yes seatbelt attatches to door. Will check wire.
I think the relay is #14 on my car, and I have a spare I'll have
at the ready.

I see where the seatbelt is mentioned in the Bentley,...
Forum: VW water cooled September 14th 07, 09:57 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 4
Posted By IR
90 Carat starter relay or solenoid problem

This has happened twice now. I go to start the car in the morning
(8v, manual trans) and I get a quiet scratchy/electrical
/buzz sound from the front. After a second or two I let
off of the key. I...
Forum: VW water cooled April 26th 07, 03:05 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 4
Posted By IR
coolant flange

Is it necessary to replace the whole flange or just the
gasket in fixing a leak? 1990 Jetta 8v.

I heard the whole thing needs changing cause it deforms...

This is the unit front and center engine...
Forum: VW water cooled February 28th 07, 12:57 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 6
Posted By IR
Use of higher octane fuel to pass smog inspection

bd wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience using a higher octane fuel to help pass
> smog inspections.
>
> Thank you for your anticipated response.
>
> Bodhi

Between that and changing the oil...
Forum: VW water cooled February 14th 07, 10:03 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 3
Posted By IR
Quasi OEM "Bosch" Oil Filters

Hi,

I just recieved a dozen Bosch 72211 Oil Filters
for our A2 and A3's from AutoPartsWarehouse.

They don't apparently have check valves.
When you look into the Mann W719/5's I have,
you see a...
Forum: VW water cooled December 14th 06, 05:01 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 10
Posted By IR
Unscientific Poll: Maintenance Issue

You got me on this one. I have been hearing that it should be
changed at some interval but it's something I've never done,
except when redoing rear brakes. I hate the stuff, I absorbed
too much...
Forum: VW water cooled December 14th 06, 01:51 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 24
Posted By IR
Awww Crap. This is what the newsgroup is for, heh

For my 2 cents I'd add that when switching to synthetic,
make sure to change it again after like 3-4 months in case
a lot of gunk comes loose. Switching to Synth may cause that.
I've switched 3...
Forum: VW water cooled November 30th 06, 02:09 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 2
Posted By IR
A2 Jetta DRL retrofit

Between Bentley and my continuity tester I narrowed it down
to a couple possibilities. 1st guess did it. In the middle
of the switch theres a parallel pair of wires. One is the
heaviest gauge wire on...
Forum: VW water cooled November 29th 06, 08:17 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 2
Posted By IR
A2 Jetta DRL retrofit

Actually just isolating out the parking lights so I could
run the low-beams independantly would be great. Maybie I can
isolate out a single wire that does that at the switch...

IR wrote:

> Any...
Forum: VW water cooled November 29th 06, 08:09 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 2
Posted By IR
A2 Jetta DRL retrofit

Any ideas for adding Daytime Running Lights to a
1990 Jetta? I ordered LED amber ones... they're kinda
dim and red and can't be positioned in as good a place
as the headlights.

I was hoping to...
Forum: VW water cooled October 25th 06, 12:53 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 2
Posted By IR
radio codes- 98 Jetta

Aha, thanks, i kept d/c'ing the batt... I'm gonna save this info in the
same place.

Irv

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:
> I think you just need to leave the power switched on for about 1 hour so you
> can...
Forum: VW water cooled October 25th 06, 12:38 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 2
Posted By IR
radio codes- 98 Jetta

I changed batteries, then entered the wrong code twice.
Does anyone know if I have to disconnect the battery again
or if just pulling the fuse will work?

I always transpose the code in my head over...
Forum: VW water cooled September 23rd 06, 01:46 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 3
Posted By IR
1990 Carat digifant- yellow substance in ECV

Thanks guys for the replies. The smoke only lasts 5 seconds and
I did get a whif this morning and theres was an oil smell. Cool.
Forum: VW water cooled September 21st 06, 06:14 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 3
Posted By IR
1990 Carat digifant- yellow substance in ECV

I was changing the valve cover gasket on my 90 Carat
digifant and when replacing the ECV into the valve
cover, I noticed a few drops of water starting to drip
out of the ECV (and into the...
Forum: VW water cooled September 21st 06, 04:53 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 17
Posted By IR
Changing out the gear oil in a 96 Jetta GL w/ 5spd...

2 Quarts should do it, it calls for just a fraction more on my 90,
also on my 90, it is filled through the speedo cable port.
Forum: VW water cooled September 19th 06, 11:51 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 5
Posted By IR
A3 Jetta hard to start

We've got the exact same car and had a similar prob. except when
it wouldn't start it really wouldn't, though after first couple
experiences we would just give up right away if it wouldn't...
Forum: VW water cooled September 12th 06, 12:50 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 4
Posted By IR
Broken Antenna

I just replaced the antenna again on my 1990 with another
generic antenna. This time instead of one with "rails" on
the bottom I found one with a round retainer ring. Seems
to work a lot better.

I...
Forum: VW water cooled September 9th 06, 09:37 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 8
Posted By IR
Valve cover gasket replacement A2

I got a "UTICA 3/8 drive 0-600 in/lb beam type torque wrench"
I figure I can use it for this job and maybie use it to calibrate
a click wrench later. It was cheap but made in USA! via...
Forum: VW water cooled September 9th 06, 12:23 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 4
Posted By IR
Broken Antenna

I'm going through the same thing with a 1990. All I did was
remove some screws on the plastic sheild in the wheel well and
reach up into the fender. My aftermarket antenna just doesn't
make good...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 32