Showing results 1 to 25 of 244
Search took 0.01 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: phaeton
Forum: Technology January 11th 12, 09:23 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.subaru
Replies: 62
Posted By phaeton
AWD car needs a new tire; Replace one or all 4

On 1/11/2012 1:40 AM, AD wrote:

> yeah, except i wonder how much people who cheapskate around
> 4 tire replacement and subsequently get a torque bind bother
> to have the center diff fixed before...
Forum: Technology January 10th 12, 08:47 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech

On 1/10/2012 1:29 AM, Steve W. wrote:

> With AWD you replace all 4 at the same time.
>
> The "concept" is reality on an AWD vehicle.

Forum: Technology January 10th 12, 06:51 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 62
Posted By phaeton
AWD car needs a new tire; Replace one or all 4

Went to Firestone today because I have a slow leak in one of my tires.
The car is a 2002 Subaru Impreza TS with factory spec tires 195/60/R15.
Turns out the slow leak was due to a puncture in the...
Forum: Technology January 3rd 12, 04:23 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By phaeton
Bye Ford ranger....

On 12/23/2011 12:20 AM, AD wrote:
> On Dec 17, 10:30 pm, bob > wrote:
>> http://www.pddnet.com/article.aspx?id=136216
>>
>> bob
>
> and now that you'd supposedly get cheaper...
Forum: Technology January 3rd 12, 04:13 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 5
Posted By phaeton
Bent Clutch Diaphram fingers, how does it happen?

A friend of mine's gf has a VW Jetta (fully manual transmission), I
think an 05 or around that vintage. He goes to 'rescue' her because she
can't shift out of 1st gear- depressing the clutch...
Forum: Technology December 10th 11, 06:41 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By phaeton
Heater not working as well as previous years

1999 Ranger 2.5L 2WD 5spd 182K black (except for the rust)

It has been plenty cold lately, make no mistake. (It is 12F right now
according to weather.com). The heat in my truck used to be...
Forum: Technology October 28th 11, 05:05 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By phaeton
Zerk fitting torque specs?

Btw,

I got the replacement ball joint/control arm assy in. Fwiw, the zerk
that came with this one looked like it was made out of different
material- it was more a steel grey instead of having that...
Forum: Technology October 17th 11, 03:04 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By phaeton
Zerk fitting torque specs?

On Oct 16, 8:53*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> Steve W. > wrote:
>
> >What were the zerks made out of? If they are steel grab a small rare
> >earth magnet and go...
Forum: Technology October 17th 11, 02:22 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By phaeton
Zerk fitting torque specs?

On Oct 16, 7:31*pm, "hls" > wrote:
> "phaeton" > wrote in message *I didn't have enough
>
> pieces to
> reconstruct the zerk. *Looks like my error means...
Forum: Technology October 17th 11, 01:10 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By phaeton
Zerk fitting torque specs?

On Oct 16, 2:17*am, Paul in Houston TX > wrote:
> phaeton wrote:
> > Sorry, I know that sounds like a silly question.
>
> > I'm rebuilding most of the front end on my truck- all...
Forum: Technology October 16th 11, 05:57 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By phaeton
Zerk fitting torque specs?

Sorry, I know that sounds like a silly question.

I'm rebuilding most of the front end on my truck- all upper ball
joints, all lower ball joints, outer tie rod ends, bushings, and
stabilizer links. ...
Forum: Technology May 22nd 11, 07:12 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By phaeton
Turning the supercharger on or off

As I grew up, there were various movies where the driver of the souped-
up car had a blower that he could 'turn on' when he needs a little
extra 'push'. I think the first one I saw was Mad Max...
Forum: Technology May 6th 11, 12:47 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 3
Posted By phaeton
Vibration/noise in clutch pedal when shifting

On Apr 30, 8:47*pm, Vic Smith > wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 17:20:51 -0700 (PDT), phaeton
>

> > wrote:
> >I recently purchased a 2002...
Forum: Technology May 1st 11, 01:20 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 3
Posted By phaeton
Vibration/noise in clutch pedal when shifting

I recently purchased a 2002 Subaru Impreza. 2.5L non-turbo, 197,000
miles (but it came with a stack of service records 3.5" thick)

However, it has a vibration in the clutch pedal when shifting. ...
Forum: Technology January 20th 11, 05:38 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 1
Posted By phaeton
Nissan Vans.

On Jan 19, 4:11*pm, wrote:
> New Nissan NV Vanhttp://www.devilfinder.com
>
> Started rolling out the factory doors this afternoon at the Nissan
> factory near...
Forum: Technology January 20th 11, 05:27 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 21
Posted By phaeton
Is there an on demand 4 wheel drive car (not truck or suv)?

I understand that AWD always comes at a price.

That said, I also have a liking for the new Fusions. If they made an
AWD Fusion Wagon in that 'cool white' color, I might actually...
Forum: Technology January 20th 11, 04:10 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By phaeton
This is the worst sounding idea I've heard of in a long time.

Hydro Boost brakes. I had heard of them before and I knew they
existed, but I didn't understand how they balance you on the brink of
disaster should something go wrong.

My friend's girlfriend was...
Forum: Technology January 18th 11, 12:00 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech

On Jan 17, 6:12*am, "C. E. White" > wrote:
> "bob" > wrote in message

> >I like the sure...
Forum: Technology January 12th 11, 03:44 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 23
Posted By phaeton
Rear wheel drive.

In my observation, FWD has a traction advantage as long as you:

1) go in a straight line
2) start off slowly
3) don't abruptly change speed
4) don't encounter changes in traction (like, traversing...
Forum: Technology January 12th 11, 03:22 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 35
Posted By phaeton
Preventing Rust from Road Salt

On Jan 11, 2:27*pm, "Steve W." > wrote:
> Tegger wrote:
> > Nate Nagel > wrote in
> :
>
> >> Hand washing? *you serious? *...
Forum: Technology January 11th 11, 05:06 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By phaeton
I need cheap wheels for my 1999 V6 Firebird. What cars usesimilar ones?

Aside from local sources, Summit has some alright wheels too. Some
steel, some aluminum. If you live in a place where you'll be driving
in road salt, it's almost worth the extra $30/wheel to go...
Forum: Technology January 11th 11, 04:57 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 35
Posted By phaeton
Preventing Rust from Road Salt

That bit in the article about hand-washing the car would never fly in
a real winter.
Forum: Technology May 27th 10, 02:54 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By phaeton
Walker Sound FX Mufflers

Hey kids,

Anyone here know offhand if a Walker Sound FX Muffler is a "Turbo"
type muffler?

My Thrush Turbo has developed a hole and it needs replacing. Summit
doesn't seem to carry the same case...
Forum: Technology March 19th 10, 05:46 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By phaeton
Why 70 Miles Per Hour is the New 55

I'll agree with Nate.

Also, some years ago I drove through Wyoming, where the speed limit is
75. Unfortunately, there was a massive headwind, and the best I could
do by myself was about 47mph,...
Forum: Technology March 18th 10, 04:18 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 59
Posted By phaeton
NAPA vs. Autozone vs. O'Reilly... price and quality?

Thanks for the suggestion of Rock Auto. I forgot about them, somehow.

Quality is what I wanted, and it turns out they can give me all Moog
parts for $340. That sounds like the way to go.
Now I...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 244