AutoBanter

-   VW water cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Rear axle bushing - rubber or poly? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=14381)

Andrew Hall November 15th 04 11:50 PM

Rear axle bushing - rubber or poly?

Hello!

I have the rear axle off of my 82 Rabbit (in order to do the fuel
tank)and I am doing the full anti-rust restoration, etc... so in the
process I took off the rear axle beam mountings from the axle.
Looking at the OEM rubber bushings, they are cracked, but not shot
IMHO. I bought the "Prothane" red polyurethane rear axle bushing kit
from Adirondack in case I decided to replace the rubber with the poly
ones. Just wanted to get any opinions on doing this BEFORE I drill
out the OEM rubber mounts and (regret) installing the poly ones. She
is a daily driver, albeit sporty with upgrades I have done over the
years. It just seems like right now, with the axle off the car, would
be the time to make this "upgrade". Any experiences, recommendations,
or opinions on doing this are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Andrew
1982 Rabbit

p.s. if I install the poly, do I need to get the torsional preload
set just like with the rubber bushings (from Bentley)?
p.s.s. if I install the poly, do I use the new washers that came with
the kit or keep with the stock (dished) washers?

Jo Bo November 16th 04 12:10 PM

We put a set of red ones on the front of my son's 89 jeep cherokee and there
were no adverse effects. In fact it handles much better and all the rattles
are gone. His original rubber ones were very soft. Since the axel is off and
you have them go for it!

JoBo

om...

Jo Bo November 16th 04 12:10 PM