AutoBanter

-   Driving (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Haynes manual instructions (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=7875)

Yvan December 6th 04 05:40 PM

Nedavno Bill 2 pise:

| > >This should be included with every Haynes manual sold:
| > >http://u225.torque.net/haynes_instructions.html
| >
| > While they are not the best choice, they are not quite that bad.
|
| Actually yes they are. They are filled with so much incorrect,
| incomplete information that your money is better spent paying a couple
| bucks more for the factory service manual.

I have 1977 Puch Maxi, and was happy to find Haynes manual for it (from
1973) on amazon.com. Never even heard about Haynes until I joined this
group. I am completely disappointed with it as this seems to be a
"complete idiots guide" to disassemble and assemble it's engine. OK, not
quite, but I hoped for much more details.

I ordered directly from haynes.co.uk manual for both my Audi and BMW.
Hope they are better than this one from '73 :-)

--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **

Mike Behnke December 6th 04 05:43 PM

Highly doubtful. In fact, probably worse.

Bite the bullet and get the Factory Service Manual's.

Mike Behnke December 6th 04 05:43 PM

Yvan December 6th 04 07:51 PM

Nedavno Mike Behnke pise:

| Highly doubtful. In fact, probably worse.
|
| Bite the bullet and get the Factory Service Manual's.
|
| > I ordered directly from haynes.co.uk manual for both my Audi and
| > BMW. Hope they are better than this one from '73 :-)

I probably will.

--
___ ____

Yvan December 6th 04 07:51 PM

Lawrence Glickman December 6th 04 08:08 PM

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 20:51:47 +0100, Yvan > wrote:

>Nedavno Mike Behnke pise:
>
>| Highly doubtful. In fact, probably worse.
>|
>| Bite the bullet and get the Factory Service Manual's.
>|
>| > I ordered directly from haynes.co.uk manual for both my Audi and
>| > BMW. Hope they are better than this one from '73 :-)
>
>I probably will.

I think there is some *online* service, don't remember the name
offhand, and they have your service manual *online.* You subscribe on
an annual fee basis; something like $25 a year or some such. Can't
remember the name, but, that is the way I would go.

A -physical- shop manual weights 20 pounds, takes a day to put
together into the binders, and is a monstrosity. And unless you're
changing out the rod bearings on your pistons or something, it seems
to be a *bit* of overkill for most repairs you would make as a
hobbyist.

Many repairs require specialized tools, and those are going to cost
you a fortune, and you may only use them once.

Sometimes it makes more sense to bring the dang thing into a qualified
service shop.

Lg

Lawrence Glickman December 6th 04 08:08 PM

Daniel J. Stern December 6th 04 08:52 PM

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Lawrence Glickman wrote:

> I think there is some *online* service, don't remember the name
> offhand, and they have your service manual *online.*

Alldata. Naw, they don't. They have *THEIR* service manual online. It
contains somebody else's digest of information that comes from several
sources. Many procedures are reasonably complete, others aren't.

> A -physical- shop manual weights 20 pounds, takes a day to put
> together into the binders, and is a monstrosity.

Horse****. A physical shop manual consists of one or a few volumes,
usually totalling about 5 pounds and fitting easily on a bookshelf. How do
I know? Well, it might have something to do with the twenty or thirty
factory service manuals I own.

> And unless you're changing out the rod bearings on your pistons or
> something, it seems to be a *bit* of overkill for most repairs you would
> make as a hobbyist.

If you're trying to replace "rod bearings on your pistons", you've got
much bigger problems than what manual to use.

> Sometimes it makes more sense to bring the dang thing into a qualified
> service shop.

Sometimes it makes more sense to know what the hell you're talking about
before you post.

DS

Daniel J. Stern December 6th 04 08:52 PM

Yvan December 6th 04 08:57 PM

Nedavno Lawrence Glickman pise:

| >| Highly doubtful. In fact, probably worse.
| >|
| >| Bite the bullet and get the Factory Service Manual's.
| >|

| >I probably will.
|
| I think there is some *online* service, don't remember the name
| offhand, and they have your service manual *online.* You subscribe on
| an annual fee basis; something like $25 a year or some such. Can't
| remember the name, but, that is the way I would go.

It's http://www.alldatadiy.com. Is this really a Bentley manual on-line?
How come they (Bentley) do not sell it on CD for my car (1989 Audi 100)?

| A -physical- shop manual weights 20 pounds, takes a day to put

I found factory manual on eBay for $105 and shiping was ~ $50 :-)

| Sometimes it makes more sense to bring the dang thing into a qualified
| service shop.

Every time I go to my mechanic I am more and more convinced that I
should do repair by myself, since where I am there is no such thing as
"qualified service shop". And Audi service is to expensive for me.

--
___ ____