AutoBanter

-   Ford Mustang (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Emergency brake COIL spring on CALIPERhelp (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=69032)

[email protected] July 5th 06 09:11 PM

Emergency brake COIL spring on CALIPERhelp

i made the mistake of thinking that the bolt holding one side of the
coil spring used on the emergency brake lever on the caliper was
preloading the spring so i took it out. oops. does anybody have a
trick to get that coil return spring back on? i already ripped the
back of my hand opened trying a channel lock and vise grip..
anybody know the trick on the rear caliper spring? do they make a
tool?
2000 mustang GT

Hawk[_1_] July 6th 06 04:51 PM

Emergency brake COIL spring on CALIPERhelp

> wrote in message ...
>i made the mistake of thinking that the bolt holding one side of the
> coil spring used on the emergency brake lever on the caliper was
> preloading the spring so i took it out. oops. does anybody have a
> trick to get that coil return spring back on? i already ripped the
> back of my hand opened trying a channel lock and vise grip..
> anybody know the trick on the rear caliper spring? do they make a
> tool?
> 2000 mustang GT

Yeah...you never want to take those off if you don't have to. I have taken one
off once, and it was a real pita to get it back on. I just used a reasonably
sized/spaced plyers and squeezed about as hard as I could to get it back on. It
is real easy for it to slip/sproing off as you have learned. Not sure if there is
a special tool for the job...good luck.

(*>