AutoBanter

-   Ford Mustang (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   1966 Mustang (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=73709)

Bryan September 2nd 06 11:20 PM

1966 Mustang

Found a 1966 Mustang with original motor (mileage unknown), new
transmission, speed shifter, headers, twin 2.5 inch pipes,1969 front seats,
new upholstery, no exposure to salted roads or coastal salts. That's all I
know about it at the moment. Assuming my mechanic says it's mechanically
solid, what's it worth; they're asking $9500.

veegerNO [email protected] September 2nd 06 11:41 PM

1966 Mustang

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 22:20:28 GMT, "Bryan" >
wrote:

>Found a 1966 Mustang with original motor (mileage unknown), new
>transmission, speed shifter, headers, twin 2.5 inch pipes,1969 front seats,
>new upholstery, no exposure to salted roads or coastal salts. That's all I
>know about it at the moment. Assuming my mechanic says it's mechanically
>solid, what's it worth; they're asking $9500.

Aside from the adage it worth whatever you're willing to pay for it,
you might try doing a search at www.hemmings.com for a 1966 Ford
Mustang and compare the results to what you know about the car.

A mechanic's inspection is worth it's weight in gold IF the mechanic
is good. You really need to look for rust problems on a 66. Even
without road/ocean salts, they were targets for rust. Especially check
the cowl, floor pans, and fender wells, as well as the floor of the
trunk (which is the top of the gas tank), as the old tanks were
subject to pinholes from rust (I filled the tank of my first 65 FB and
had fuel sloshing in the bottom of the trunk area... and I smoked at
the time). Headlight buckets is another area. And front and rear
window frames (not the chrome, but the body, and it's hard to spot.

Just because a car is a southwest car does NOT mean it spent it's life
there. There was a beauty in Las Vegas.... but a magnet would not
stick to the car below the belt line. Many SW cars were bought and
taken to the NE where they were eaten up, then taken back to the SW to
be sold as SW cars.

Don't let your desire blind you.
--

Spike
w/Black Std Interior, A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok;