AutoBanter

-   Ford Mustang (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Cadillac 501 engine (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=38299)

ironrod July 16th 05 12:21 AM

Cadillac 501 engine

I posted here awhile back about having inherited my fathers Cadillac
Eldorado with a 501 C.I. engine, and I'm still trying to get on top of the
learning curve. Here is my latest dilemma: Looking at
the engine heads there seems to be two temperature sensors screwed directly
in to the heads. One is on the right-hand side all the way forward, the
other is on the left-hand side all the way aft. There is a single black
wire coming from the one up front and a green wire coming from the rearward
one. They're not intersecting any oil or coolant passageways that I can
see, so my conclusion is they are measuring the head temperatures directly.
Did Cadillac actually make an engine system this sophisticated back then and
if so how do I tell if it is working? Or am I even on the right page of
music?

Big Al July 16th 05 08:01 AM

"ironrod" > wrote in message
>I posted here awhile back about having inherited my fathers Cadillac
> Eldorado with a 501 C.I. engine, and I'm still trying to get on top of the
> learning curve. Here is my latest dilemma: Looking at
> the engine heads there seems to be two temperature sensors screwed
> directly
> in to the heads. One is on the right-hand side all the way forward, the
> other is on the left-hand side all the way aft. There is a single black
> wire coming from the one up front and a green wire coming from the
> rearward
> one. They're not intersecting any oil or coolant passageways that I can
> see, so my conclusion is they are measuring the head temperatures
> directly.
> Did Cadillac actually make an engine system this sophisticated back then
> and
> if so how do I tell if it is working? Or am I even on the right page of
> music?

One could be for the temperature gauge and the other for the hot light.
Knowing what year the car was could help. Most call that engine the 500.

Al

elaich July 16th 05 08:05 AM

"ironrod" > wrote in news:2yXBe.735$5N3.662
@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

> Or am I even on the right page of
> music?

You're not even on the right page of manufacturer. This is a Mustang group.
F-O-R-D. Not even remotely related to C-A-D-I-L-L-A-C.

--
"This space for rent."

WindsorFox[SS] July 16th 05 09:33 AM

elaich wrote:
> "ironrod" > wrote in news:2yXBe.735$5N3.662
> @bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:
>

>>Or am I even on the right page of
>>music?
>>

> You're not even on the right page of manufacturer. This is a Mustang group.
> F-O-R-D. Not even remotely related to C-A-D-I-L-L-A-C.

He is well aware of that. Before berating regular posters to this
group, perhapse you should be here awile first and see who who does and
doesn't know where they are. It should have been a clue when he
mentioned how he had posted about said Cadillac 501 in this group before.

--
"Network management is like trying to herd cats."
-- Unknown

"I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges?"
-- TazAmd - Humor Section Gettingtogather.com

elaich July 17th 05 12:24 AM

"WindsorFox[SS]" > wrote in news:NC3Ce.56200
$iU.1153@lakeread05:

> He is well aware of that. Before berating regular posters to this
> group, perhapse you should be here awile first and see who who does and
> doesn't know where they are. It should have been a clue when he
> mentioned how he had posted about said Cadillac 501 in this group before.

Ah, the lokal Netcop. Been wondering where you were lurking. BTW, I'm the
spelling cop. You need a dictionary.

"Perhapse?" "awile?"

2.3Sleeper July 17th 05 02:43 AM

"elaich" > wrote in message ...
> "WindsorFox[SS]" > wrote in news:NC3Ce.56200
> $iU.1153@lakeread05:
>
> > He is well aware of that. Before berating regular posters to this
> > group, perhapse you should be here awile first and see who who does and
> > doesn't know where they are. It should have been a clue when he
> > mentioned how he had posted about said Cadillac 501 in this group

before.

> Ah, the lokal Netcop. Been wondering where you were lurking. BTW, I'm the
> spelling cop. You need a dictionary.
>
> "Perhapse?" "awile?"

lokal??

Heh

Don Manning

elaich July 17th 05 07:35 AM

"2.3Sleeper" > wrote in news:PIiCe.549$zh7.501
@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net:

> lokal??

And you didn't figure out that was intentional?

--
"This space for rent."

ironrod July 17th 05 07:52 AM

I probably should have mentioned my post was off topic, but there is
absolutely no information flow on the Cadillac News group. I was just
hoping somebody here might be able to help me out. The car is a 1973
Eldorado BTW.

2.3Sleeper July 17th 05 04:17 PM

> @newssvr29.news.prodigy.net:
>
> > lokal??

> And you didn't figure out that was intentional?

Yes, but I could not resist.

Don Manning

Mike R July 17th 05 06:08 PM

In article >,
"ironrod" > wrote:

> I posted here awhile back about having inherited my fathers Cadillac
> Eldorado with a 501 C.I. engine, and I'm still trying to get on top of the
> learning curve. Here is my latest dilemma: Looking at
> the engine heads there seems to be two temperature sensors screwed directly
> in to the heads. One is on the right-hand side all the way forward, the
> other is on the left-hand side all the way aft. There is a single black
> wire coming from the one up front and a green wire coming from the rearward
> one. They're not intersecting any oil or coolant passageways that I can
> see, so my conclusion is they are measuring the head temperatures directly.
> Did Cadillac actually make an engine system this sophisticated back then and
> if so how do I tell if it is working? Or am I even on the right page of
> music?

There's a bible at the bay:

http://tinyurl.com/84vf2

--