AutoBanter

-   Audi (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Audi A4 Timing Belt with Water Pump (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=33890)

pwelsh777 via CarKB.com May 27th 05 10:14 PM

Audi A4 Timing Belt with Water Pump

I was just told by my mechanic that to replace the water pump, serpentine
belt and timing belt on my 96 Audi A4 would be $1200. The labor alone ran
over $500. Does anyone know if this is reasonable or not? Can someone
give me an estimate for labor and parts? Also if anyone knows of a link to
a website which lists an estimate for how long this should take to replace,
I'd appreciate it. I'd like to know if they were taking long lunches on my
dime if you know what I mean.
--
Thanks.

R@L May 28th 05 07:18 PM

"pwelsh777 via CarKB.com" > wrote in message
>I was just told by my mechanic that to replace the water pump, serpentine
> belt and timing belt on my 96 Audi A4 would be $1200. The labor alone ran
> over $500. Does anyone know if this is reasonable or not? Can someone
> give me an estimate for labor and parts? Also if anyone knows of a link
> a website which lists an estimate for how long this should take to
> replace,
> I'd appreciate it. I'd like to know if they were taking long lunches on
> my
> dime if you know what I mean.
> --
> Thanks.

In all of Europe, all prices are factory set for all repairs, whatever time
it takes.
Also there's a 2 year warranty on parts and labour.

Ronald

Old Radios May 28th 05 08:37 PM

At $100/hour labor, I could see it. If you do it yourself it will
easily take 5 hours. Also bear in mind the time for these jobs is set -
they take them right out of the book. If they can do it in less time,
it's to their advantage because they can schedule more jobs that way.
You still pay the specified labor rate at the specified time.

Mark.

Mike Whiteman May 28th 05 10:00 PM

5 hours work.

$250-300 for parts timing belt, tensioner, waterpump, thermostat, serpentine
belt, anti-freeze

I did it myself for $250.

Ian S May 29th 05 06:13 PM

"pwelsh777 via CarKB.com" > wrote in message
> I was just told by my mechanic that to replace the water pump, serpentine
> belt and timing belt on my 96 Audi A4 would be $1200. The labor alone ran
> over $500. Does anyone know if this is reasonable or not? Can someone
> give me an estimate for labor and parts? Also if anyone knows of a link

> a website which lists an estimate for how long this should take to

replace,
> I'd appreciate it. I'd like to know if they were taking long lunches on

my
> dime if you know what I mean.
> --
> Thanks.

It seems a bit on the high side unless it's a dealer doing it. Independent
should be doing it for under $1000.

Dave May 31st 05 11:10 AM

>I was just told by my mechanic that to replace the water pump, serpentine
> belt and timing belt on my 96 Audi A4 would be $1200. The labor alone ran
> over $500. Does anyone know if this is reasonable or not? Can someone
> give me an estimate for labor and parts? Also if anyone knows of a link
> a website which lists an estimate for how long this should take to
> replace,
> I'd appreciate it. I'd like to know if they were taking long lunches on
> my
> dime if you know what I mean.

$700 for parts seems excessive. $500 for labour is probably OK. What engine
is this for?

pwelsh777 via CarKB.com May 31st 05 07:15 PM

The 1.8 (non-turbo).
--
Thanks.

NV_BC June 2nd 05 12:49 AM

"pwelsh777 via CarKB.com" > wrote in message
> I was just told by my mechanic that to replace the water pump, serpentine
> belt and timing belt on my 96 Audi A4 would be $1200. The labor alone ran
> over $500. Does anyone know if this is reasonable or not? Can someone
> give me an estimate for labor and parts? Also if anyone knows of a link

> a website which lists an estimate for how long this should take to

replace,
> I'd appreciate it. I'd like to know if they were taking long lunches on

my
> dime if you know what I mean.
> --
> Thanks.

I am not sure, but given that I am being charged over $1600 to change my
passenger side catalytic converter, I'd say your situation is about right.

Dave June 2nd 05 06:21 PM

> The 1.8 (non-turbo).

Then I suggest you go elsewhere as the mechanic is ripping you off.