AutoBanter

-   VW water cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   squeals when wheel is turned, what's the problem? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=26900)

dukecola March 13th 05 11:23 PM

squeals when wheel is turned, what's the problem?

Hello, All!

My 96 cabrio has started to squeale when wheel is turned all the way. Any
tips on what to look for. PS fluid is Ok, belts seem OK too

With best regards, dukecola. E-mail:

Matt B. March 14th 05 12:20 AM

"dukecola" > wrote in message
> Hello, All!
>
> My 96 cabrio has started to squeale when wheel is turned all the way. Any
> tips on what to look for. PS fluid is Ok, belts seem OK too

Could be a loose belt or a glazed one. Might not be really loose but
turning the wheel all the way puts the most stress on the system so it's
probably just a little loose. If it's glazed it needs replacement.

Lee March 14th 05 02:47 AM

check your alternator belts and other belts.. gotta be a belt.. or worn belt

-Lee

Joseph Meehan March 14th 05 01:04 PM

dukecola wrote:
> Hello, All!
>
> My 96 cabrio has started to squeale when wheel is turned all the way.
> Any tips on what to look for. PS fluid is Ok, belts seem OK too
>
> With best regards, dukecola. E-mail:

I would say it is just trying to tell you to stop that.

Yea, I would take another look at the belt and include everything it
touches.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Mark Randol March 14th 05 01:27 PM

In article >,
says...
> dukecola wrote:
> > My 96 cabrio has started to squeale when wheel is turned all the way.
> > Any tips on what to look for. PS fluid is Ok, belts seem OK too

> I would say it is just trying to tell you to stop that.
>
> Yea, I would take another look at the belt and include everything it
> touches.

If it's while moving only, maybe the wheels and tires are too big and
the tire is rubbing?

If not, have someone else get in the car and crank the steering wheel
all the way over while you're outside with the hood up listening for
where the noise is coming from.

Mark
'95 Jetta GLS