AutoBanter

-   Alfa Romeo (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   156 V6 starter motor (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=493)

Ppelectron October 13th 04 06:21 PM

156 V6 starter motor

Just wondering if anyone on here has removed a starter motor from a 156 2.5 V6?
If so, how long did it take? I'm being told it's a 2 day job which seems a bit
excessive. I haven't actually worked out where it is fitted yet....

quaixy October 29th 04 01:33 PM

Put my 156 V6 Sportswagon in for it's 36000 mile service the other day &
asked them to investigate a starter motor squeal, after the engine starts,
when cold.

They told me I needed a new starter, fairly soon, the unit was £98 but to
replace it was an engine out job estimated at £1100. Hope you found a
better way as that's unacceptable to me.

I've a copy of the manual on CD which gives the steps & it does seem to
require removal of a few bits 'n' pieces but not a full engine out job.

Ppelectron October 29th 04 01:40 PM

>Put my 156 V6 Sportswagon in for it's 36000 mile service the other day &
>asked them to investigate a starter motor squeal, after the engine starts,
>when cold.
>
>They told me I needed a new starter, fairly soon, the unit was £98 but to
>replace it was an engine out job estimated at £1100. Hope you found a
>better way as that's unacceptable to me.
>
>I've a copy of the manual on CD which gives the steps & it does seem to
>require removal of a few bits 'n' pieces but not a full engine out job.

I was told the same thing, so I decided to leave mine. Unless it fails
completely I will leave it until the next cam belt change, which is also an
engine out job. Sounds like a silly design to me.

Phil 156 V6