AutoBanter

-   Jeep (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   warped brake rotors - ongoing ? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=63260)

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III April 25th 06 04:15 AM

warped brake rotors - ongoing ?

Hi Earle,
You're a good driver, planning ahead for your stops. But I live in
Kalifornia and if I give a car length for every ten, I'd still be
slamming on my brakes to let some jerk off at the that ramp. So I buy
one set from Kragen and then replace them for free every twenty five
thousand, for over thirty sets now. I bet someone there wishes I'd buy a
new car.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III April 25th 06 04:16 AM

warped brake rotors - ongoing ?

It'll get there soon enough.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Herb Leong April 25th 06 09:24 AM

warped brake rotors - ongoing ?

In article > ,
Phil Schuman > wrote:
#Just a posting about the historical and ongoing
#warped brake rotor problem -
# Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2001 -
Your WJ came from the factory with Teves calipers.

#I had "serviced" the "warped" rotors at about 15k, 30k, & 45k,
#replacing them at the original 15k service visit,
#grinding at the 30k, and replacing again at 45k.
#
#At the 45k mark, I had the standard rotors replaced
#with some drilled & slotted upgraded versions on the front...
#Now we are at 54k, and approaching the next 15k interval at 60k.
#I can almost sense the coming of the steering wheel vibration during
#braking.
Welcome to the club! I changed out my rotors and pads multiple times.
When they overheated and one of the piston boots burned off, I went
ahead and replaced the Teves calipers with the Akebono kit.

TSB 05-003-02B is what you want to look at.
http://www.wjjeeps.com/brakes.htm#TSB

Replacing them was pretty easy. The kit even came with replacement
copper washers for the banjo nuts.

Note that TSB 05-003-02B is a TSB and not a recall, so if you are
out of extended warrenty, get ready to buy the 05093174AA kit (much
cheaper than getting the parts separately) and two 52098672 rotors.

Anyone have any luck using pull-off Teves calipers on a YJ?

/herb

Dave Milne May 7th 06 12:17 PM

warped brake rotors - ongoing ?

You've done 750,000 miles on one vehicle ?

Dave Milne, Scotland

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III May 8th 06 01:58 AM

warped brake rotors - ongoing ?

Hi Dave,
I meant I bought one per axle on many vehicles, but it's easily
over a million millions the wife and I have driven since Kragans life
time warranties moved to vista. You remember I brag about my '89
Thunderbird 300,000 and '78 Bronco 350,000 both bought new and never
been apart. Then there is '57 T-Bird I've owned since '62, and my Real
Jeep I built in '78, in my driveway, and the cars I've owned and sold
'72 Ford PU, '78 Mustang, '84 T-bird. I live in Southern California
where we commute, Like Jeff here drives from Corona to San Diego for two
hundred miles a day. And in that time I drove another million miles
pushing a diesel.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Matt Macchiarolo May 8th 06 02:28 AM

warped brake rotors - ongoing ?

Also he doesn't have winter & salted roads to contend with, or for that
matter, preciptation of any kind throughout the year.

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III May 8th 06 02:43 AM

warped brake rotors - ongoing ?

I think I'll go down and catch a few waves:
http://www.camzone.com/index.php?cam=scripps
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Earle Horton May 8th 06 05:24 AM

warped brake rotors - ongoing ?

I think I'll go out and catch a mountain goat or two. ;^)

Earle

Dave Milne May 9th 06 09:11 PM

warped brake rotors - ongoing ?

I used to do 150 miles per day, which took 3 hours ; then I figured it was
better to walk to work and spend the 3 hours doing something else. With the
latest job, I do 35 minutes each way along pleasantly twisty roads that my
Jeep *clearly* wasn't designed to drive along quickly :-)

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III May 10th 06 12:26 AM

warped brake rotors - ongoing ?

Hi Dave,
That reminds me when I first bought a Jeep in '68 I was afraid to
drive it, telling a highway patrol friend, that also owned a jeep, and
told me to read the speed limit signs and I'd be OK. Apparently my whole
life I'd been judging the corners at about twice the posted speed.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/