AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   New engine build (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=13560)

tricky November 16th 04 08:54 PM

New engine build

Hi Poeple

I am quite new to this group so please be kind !

I am planning on building my first engine. I have read loads on the net
on how to ... performance this ... lightened fly wheel etc etc.

A few times I have come across the statement " but dont do this if its
going in a bus" !

So my question is this - what would be a good design, from carb though
to exhaust for my new engine.

I want not so much power/speed but tough reliable cruising at 70 - 80
MPH. Good MPG would be high on my list to.

I have read that a "square engine" ( stroke equal to bore ) is good for
fuel econ. Small inlet is good for busses ? Keep your flyweel heavy
(180) etc.

I will be using a spare 1300 dual port as my donar.

Any good sites I might have missed ( for bus engines ).
I would prefer type 1 as there doesnt seem to be that much info on type 4 )

Ta

Rich

64 1600 split bus daily driver , 68 1300 bay bus, 78 2000 bay bus, 70
1200-70 1300 71 1300 and 72 1300 bugs.

Speedy Jim November 16th 04 09:15 PM

tricky wrote:
> Hi Poeple
>
> I am quite new to this group so please be kind !
>
> I am planning on building my first engine. I have read loads on the net
> on how to ... performance this ... lightened fly wheel etc etc.
>
> A few times I have come across the statement " but dont do this if its
> going in a bus" !
>
> So my question is this - what would be a good design, from carb though
> to exhaust for my new engine.
>
> I want not so much power/speed but tough reliable cruising at 70 - 80
> MPH. Good MPG would be high on my list to.
>
> I have read that a "square engine" ( stroke equal to bore ) is good for
> fuel econ. Small inlet is good for busses ? Keep your flyweel heavy
> (180) etc.
>
> I will be using a spare 1300 dual port as my donar.
>
> Any good sites I might have missed ( for bus engines ).
> I would prefer type 1 as there doesnt seem to be that much info on type 4 )
>
> Ta
>
> Rich
>
> 64 1600 split bus daily driver , 68 1300 bay bus, 78 2000 bay bus, 70
> 1200-70 1300 71 1300 and 72 1300 bugs.

This is going in the '68 Bus ???

Type 1 engines:
http://www.type2.com/rvanness/1600saga.htm
http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Dunes/9702/engine.html

Loads of Type 4 info:
http://www.aircooledtech.com/
http://www.bostonengine.com/index.html
http://www.dolphinsci.com/typeIV.html
http://tunacan.net/t4/

How thick is your wallet??

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

tricky November 16th 04 09:50 PM

Speedy Jim wrote:

> This is going in the '68 Bus ???

Yes the 68 for now, but if its good I will do one for the 64 too.
The 68 has a twin port beetle engine in that pulls better than the 1600
single port in the 64 !

> Type 1 engines:
> http://www.type2.com/rvanness/1600saga.htm
> http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Dunes/9702/engine.html
>

> Loads of Type 4 info:
> http://www.aircooledtech.com/
> http://www.bostonengine.com/index.html
> http://www.dolphinsci.com/typeIV.html
> http://tunacan.net/t4/
>
> How thick is your wallet??

Thats the other thing ! I dont want to spend to much !

Thanks for that - I will have a read.

Wolfgang November 17th 04 01:08 AM

70-80 MPH in a 64 Bus? Hope you live where there is absolutely no wind!

tricky November 17th 04 07:33 PM

I used to drive my 2000 78 bay at these speeds easily. Has anyone out
there got a stock or mild built type 1 engine they are happy with ( or
not! ) they would like to tell me about. I was thinking 1641 pistons and
barrels, 1.4:1 rockers, but not sure wether to use a longer stroke crank.

Some body must have a real life (ie not theory) view on the ideal engine
for a bus !!!

Tim Rogers November 18th 04 09:45 PM

"tricky" > wrote in message

> Anyone know of any UK supplyers of type 4 parts to build an engine ?

..............There's your problem. The type 4 engine was never sold in large
quantities in Europe. Available engines for rebuilding and parts vendors
selling affordable parts are a bigger problem compared to North America.
Americans think that type 4's are common place and they're right but it
isn't always true elsewhere.

Chris Perdue November 19th 04 12:41 AM

>From: "Tim Rogers"

>.............There's your problem. The type 4 engine was never sold in large
>quantities in Europe. Available engines for rebuilding and parts vendors
>selling affordable parts are a bigger problem compared to North America.
>Americans think that type 4's are common place and they're right but it
>isn't always true elsewhere.

tim.....where do you think most of our type 4 knowlege/adaptation(I.E. upright
conversion)/many parts come from?...folks in Europe have been using the type4
in beetles, buses, etc for many years...we are *WAY* behind them....that is
where people like Jake Raby, etc, have gotten the "bug" over the type 4....
-------------------
Chris Perdue
"I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in
the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the
air-cooled legend forward"
Jim Mais
Feb. 2004

Tim Rogers November 19th 04 01:45 AM

"Chris Perdue" > wrote in message

> tim.....where do you think most of our type 4 knowlege/adaptation(I.E.

upright
> conversion)/many parts come from?...folks in Europe have been using the

type4
> in beetles, buses, etc for many years...we are *WAY* behind them....that

is
> where people like Jake Raby, etc, have gotten the "bug" over the type

4....

..........You're right but there is still an availability and affordability
problem in Europe and other parts of the world where type 4 engines were
never sold in large numbers compared to here.

tricky November 22nd 04 09:56 AM

Hello all , again !

I have been in touch with a supplyer of type 4 engines ( there aren't
many in the uk and most only sell long blocks complete )

I was advised to stick with type 1 !!! I was told it was loads of
trouble - different gear box ( tranny) different input shaft, different
mounting points .

Anyone had any hands on experience of puting a type 4 in a 68-71 bus ?

some sites suggest it would be quite easy ??

Rich

Juper Wort November 22nd 04 04:20 PM

"tricky" > wrote in message
> OK so a couple of you think T4 is the way to go.
>
> I am very happy with my 78 t4 2000, but the reson I was going to rebuild
> a type1 was , that is all that is advertised over here in the uk !
>
> Anyone know of any UK supplyers of type 4 parts to build an engine ?
>
> Ts
> Rich

Try here
http://www.statesidetuning.co.uk/catalogue/engine.htm