AutoBanter

-   VW water cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   '92 GTI Gear Linkage Question (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=69297)

Dave[_2_] July 9th 06 01:10 AM

'92 GTI Gear Linkage Question

'92 8 valve. Is there any way to replace the bushing at the gear shift
end of the linkage to the transmission WITHOUT removing the exhaust
system?

I have the engine out and the engine end of the linkage out of the way.
How do I replace the plastic bushing at the gear shift end of that
shaft WITHOUT removing the exhaust system.

Any ideas are welcome David Abineri

One out of many Daves July 9th 06 03:58 AM

'92 GTI Gear Linkage Question

I think that if you can carefully remove the exhaust shield just above the
exhaust you might be able to replace the gear shift bushing without removing
the exhaust. Remember that you will drop the shifter out of the bottom
right over the exhaust.
I think it ain't easy but it should be doable and I think I have done it
before.

later,
dave
(One out of many daves)