AutoBanter

-   Mazda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   motor replacement? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=20371)

picaza November 3rd 04 09:59 AM

motor replacement?

hi,

the old girl is start to smoke on hard accel and is getting worse. do
you think it would be better to drop a used motor in or replace the
rings? what is a reasonable prince for a used motor?

thanks,
peter

L. Santer November 4th 04 08:26 PM

picaza > wrote
> do you think it would be better to drop a used motor in or replace
> the rings? what is a reasonable prince for a used motor?

If it's your labor abd you got the time, cheaper to replace rings. If
you're paying someone else, maybe a used motor.

I paid $600 for a 90K miata engine. Shipping charges killed me. Try
car-part.com to locate/price available engines.

picaza November 6th 04 01:05 AM

> If it's your labor abd you got the time, cheaper to replace rings. If
> you're paying someone else, maybe a used motor.
>
> I paid $600 for a 90K miata engine. Shipping charges killed me. Try
> car-part.com to locate/price available engines.

hi,
probably should have stated that old motor will have 100k on the clock
before it comes out of the car altho it has a resent water pump, timing
belt and valve job. i was thinking of finding a local lo-mile motor
for a quick job. what do you think?

thanks,
peter

L. Santer November 11th 04 04:52 AM

picaza >
> probably should have stated that old motor will have 100k on the clock
> before it comes out of the car altho it has a resent water pump, timing
> belt and valve job. i was thinking of finding a local lo-mile motor
> for a quick job. what do you think?

Only 100K and smoking?
I think a compression and leak down test should be done next.