AutoBanter

-   Ford Mustang (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   1965 Mustang Resoration Underbody Paint (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=58164)

Chris February 28th 06 05:30 PM

1965 Mustang Resoration Underbody Paint

Hi,
Finished up some metalwork on a Mustang restoration I have been
working on. I blasted/primed all the suspension, frame rails, etc.
Basically totally metal from bumper to bumper across the bottom.

Heres the question: What color was the engine bay and suspension
painted from the factory. I have seen some restorations where the
bottom of the car was painted the same color as the body. I know the
engine bays are black but is it supposed to be a gloss, flat, or what?
Is all the suspension/rear end, springs, steering shafts, control
arms, etc normally painted the same color? Does anyone happen to have
a paint code? Or even better a brand recommendation/type? There is
no rust, I put in the one piece floor pan, firewall, rockers, torque
boxes, rear frame rails/crossmember, all 4 fender aprons and radiator
support/front crossmember.

Just trying to get some ideas from someone who has done this.

Thanks in advance.....

Chris

Chris March 2nd 06 11:42 PM

1965 Mustang Resoration Underbody Paint

Steve,
Thanks, that was very helpfull.......

I'll order the manual today.
Chris

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 19:27:37 -0800, "Steve Herron"
> wrote:

>Chris
>I can tell you what the mca judges manual says....two classes, undercoated
>and not undercoated. When its not undercoated the the undercarriage should
>be -red oxide primer, dark grey, or black with some body color and pinch
>weld paint overspray. Primer paint drips should be visible for non
>undercoated cars. The inner fenderwell and firewall is semi gloss black . Of
>course there is a complete list of each part ,,which can be natural , flat
>black or semi gloss black ,,, you will find this list in the judges
>manual,,too big to print it all for you. Order the manual thru Mustangs
>plus,,,,or most mustang resto places.
>
>Steve

.. .