AutoBanter

-   BMW (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   I need a better winter car... (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=25692)

Troika March 1st 05 10:48 AM

Well there are a number of seniors here .1# you must always adjust your
driving to the conditions of the road always always.2# You must have 4 snow
tires on you vehicle some drivers can do with 2 but
I say 4.you do not have the same rear-end as the newer 3-series so having
said that.I want to say I live in a part of the world call Canada yes and
where I live we get lots of snow I mean lots so if you have experience and
most of all drive to the conditions of the roads you will be fine.
I often see lots of Japanese 4BY4's and others in the ditch its how you
drive I have all ways
driven BMW from the 3s to x5 and I feel so good in the x5 but if I chose to
drive foolish I know I will wind up in the ditch too.
"Ulf" > wrote in message
> My '86 BMW 323 is really a crappy winter car. Sure, it handles great,
> but I get stuck everywhere! Today, I got stuck *twice* within a couple
> of minutes. Same scenario, hit a snowdrift and snow goes flying onto the
> windshield. I brake because I can't see anything, and then I'm stuck...

:-(

The Malt Hound March 1st 05 05:52 PM

"Ulf" > wrote in message
> My '86 BMW 323 is really a crappy winter car. Sure, it handles
> great, but I get stuck everywhere! Today, I got stuck *twice* within
> a couple of minutes. Same scenario, hit a snowdrift and snow goes
> flying onto the windshield. I brake because I can't see anything,
> and then I'm stuck... :-(
>
> First time, notice how little snow it actually takes:
>
> http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw1.jpg
> http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw2.jpg
>
> Second time, this time the car stopped in the next snowdrift:
>
> http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw3.jpg
> http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw4.jpg
>
> Notice that both times I'm stuck completely *on* the road.
>
> I'm leaning more and more towards a 525xi, nothing like AWD to avoid
> getting stuck. :-)

This is a joke right?

You don't look like your "on the road" to me. Looks like you drove
into the snowbank.

Also, do you have snow tires on the thing (can't tell)

-Fred W

tech27 March 1st 05 05:57 PM

I picked up a 2001 740i as a winter car. It already had a set of
Hakkap.......something Swedish snow tires on it. I find the weight of the
vehicle and the tires is more than enough to get me through the snow.

Snow March 1st 05 06:30 PM

That's because you drive a ****ty European piece of ****...

Snow ..."your suvee is NOT a JeeP and my JeeP is NOT a suvee"

Corey Shuman March 1st 05 07:01 PM

Ah.. I love Jeep mentality "a ****ty peice of ****" nice!!!... Thats
why Rovers are always pulling them out....Your JeeP is not the best
offroader out there so how about you sit back and have a nice cup of
"shut the f@$k up".

Sorry bout that ....First off the snow looks a little deep, I would
expect to get stuck in that. Only thing I would recommend is 300lbs of
salt in the trunk, you can also use it to melt your way out but it does
help traction. Other than that, momentum and chains. My personal
opinion is that the bimmers are kind of "sleds" in the snow. But they
are great for wet or dry roads... its just the damn snow that impedes
them... My M3 hasnt left the garage in snow since I slid into a curb
and had to replace the front bumper.
Good luck!!

Mr Fix It March 1st 05 07:02 PM

What you need to do (so you get to upset some 4x4 drivers) is to let
the rear tyres down to 10psi, and fit narrow front tyres.
And don't ... repeat ... DON'T work the throttle/clutch like a track
driver!!

I did this in a citroen axgt (small french front wheel drive car) although
my
driven tyres were at 10psi and the rears were at normal pressure.

Quite funny when you get to drive around three people pushing an estate car
which got stuck in the snow ... onto
the grass, then back onto the road.
Makes 'em stand around scratching heads!!!

--
Regards....
Steve

. ..

Bradburn Fentress March 1st 05 08:04 PM

"Ulf" > wrote in message
> My '86 BMW 323 is really a crappy winter car. Sure, it handles great, but
> I get stuck everywhere! Today, I got stuck *twice* within a couple of
> minutes. Same scenario, hit a snowdrift and snow goes flying onto the
> windshield. I brake because I can't see anything, and then I'm stuck...
> :-(

Hey, Safari Beige...my first Bimmer, an E21, was Safari Beige. I wish I
would have kept that car. Your photos remind me of that.

John Burns March 1st 05 08:52 PM

> My '86 BMW 323 is really a crappy winter car. Sure, it handles great,
> but I get stuck everywhere! Today, I got stuck *twice* within a couple
> of minutes. Same scenario, hit a snowdrift and snow goes flying onto the
> windshield. I brake because I can't see anything, and then I'm stuck... :-(

Wow! And I thought my E30 saw serious snow in the winter! I'm assuming
your on snow tyres. Time for a 325iX I think ;-)

> I'm leaning more and more towards a 525xi, nothing like AWD to avoid
> getting stuck. :-)

My techie runs a '93 525iX touring with snow tyres, little stops it :-)

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!

Harri Holopainen March 1st 05 09:32 PM

how about getting a decent set of winter tyres first. crap tyres + AWD
will only get you into more trouble...