AutoBanter

-   Alfa Romeo (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Strange light on my Spider. (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=36957)

MatC June 30th 05 03:13 PM

Strange light on my Spider.

Picked up my Spider (2.0 Lusso 2001) last weekend, only one problem with it,
there is a red light on the dashboard It looks like a seatbelt or airbag
light.
The previous owner tells me it's a common problem with these, and it just
needs to go into the garage to be reset.
Looking through the paperwork that came with the car it's been reset once,
with a note "contacts cleaned", is this just a normal problem and I should
leave it, or does it need looking at ASAP? Is there anyway I can clear it
myself?

Cheers

Mat

Catman June 30th 05 03:57 PM

MatC wrote:

> Picked up my Spider (2.0 Lusso 2001) last weekend, only one problem with
> it, there is a red light on the dashboard It looks like a seatbelt or
> airbag light.
> The previous owner tells me it's a common problem with these, and it just
> needs to go into the garage to be reset.
> Looking through the paperwork that came with the car it's been reset once,
> with a note "contacts cleaned", is this just a normal problem and I should
> leave it, or does it need looking at ASAP? Is there anyway I can clear it
> myself?

Personally, first time, I'd get it checked by a pro, in case it does
indicate a problem. You might be able to reset it, which could be useful
cos AIUI if it's airbag, it's an MOT fail. ISTBC

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 TS 156 TS S2
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk

Synapse Syndrome July 1st 05 04:32 PM

"Catman" > wrote in message
> MatC wrote:
>
>> Picked up my Spider (2.0 Lusso 2001) last weekend, only one problem with
>> it, there is a red light on the dashboard It looks like a seatbelt or
>> airbag light.
>> The previous owner tells me it's a common problem with these, and it just
>> needs to go into the garage to be reset.
>> Looking through the paperwork that came with the car it's been reset
>> once,
>> with a note "contacts cleaned", is this just a normal problem and I
>> should
>> leave it, or does it need looking at ASAP? Is there anyway I can clear it
>> myself?

> Personally, first time, I'd get it checked by a pro, in case it does
> indicate a problem. You might be able to reset it, which could be useful
> cos AIUI if it's airbag, it's an MOT fail. ISTBC

If it was a problem it wouldn't be lit. These are Italian electrics after
all.

ss.

Halmyre July 1st 05 04:44 PM

Catman wrote:

> MatC wrote:
>

>>Picked up my Spider (2.0 Lusso 2001) last weekend, only one problem with
>>it, there is a red light on the dashboard It looks like a seatbelt or
>>airbag light.
>>The previous owner tells me it's a common problem with these, and it just
>>needs to go into the garage to be reset.
>>Looking through the paperwork that came with the car it's been reset once,
>>with a note "contacts cleaned", is this just a normal problem and I should
>>leave it, or does it need looking at ASAP? Is there anyway I can clear it
>>myself?

> Personally, first time, I'd get it checked by a pro, in case it does
> indicate a problem. You might be able to reset it, which could be useful
> cos AIUI if it's airbag, it's an MOT fail. ISTBC

My 156 passed its MOT even though the airbag warning light was on. It
might depend on where you get it tested, though.

--
Halmyre

Catman July 1st 05 04:59 PM

Synapse Syndrome wrote:

> "Catman" > wrote in message
>> MatC wrote:
>>
>>> Picked up my Spider (2.0 Lusso 2001) last weekend, only one problem with
>>> it, there is a red light on the dashboard It looks like a seatbelt or
>>> airbag light.
>>> The previous owner tells me it's a common problem with these, and it
>>> just needs to go into the garage to be reset.
>>> Looking through the paperwork that came with the car it's been reset
>>> once,
>>> with a note "contacts cleaned", is this just a normal problem and I
>>> should
>>> leave it, or does it need looking at ASAP? Is there anyway I can clear
>>> it myself?

>> Personally, first time, I'd get it checked by a pro, in case it does
>> indicate a problem. You might be able to reset it, which could be useful
>> cos AIUI if it's airbag, it's an MOT fail. ISTBC
>>

> If it was a problem it wouldn't be lit. These are Italian electrics after
> all.

You may have a point

Catman July 1st 05 04:59 PM

Halmyre wrote:

> Catman wrote:
>
>> MatC wrote:
>>

>>>Picked up my Spider (2.0 Lusso 2001) last weekend, only one problem with
>>>it, there is a red light on the dashboard It looks like a seatbelt or
>>>airbag light.
>>>The previous owner tells me it's a common problem with these, and it just
>>>needs to go into the garage to be reset.
>>>Looking through the paperwork that came with the car it's been reset
>>>once, with a note "contacts cleaned", is this just a normal problem and I
>>>should leave it, or does it need looking at ASAP? Is there anyway I can
>>>clear it myself?

>> Personally, first time, I'd get it checked by a pro, in case it does
>> indicate a problem. You might be able to reset it, which could be useful
>> cos AIUI if it's airbag, it's an MOT fail. ISTBC
>>

> My 156 passed its MOT even though the airbag warning light was on. It
> might depend on where you get it tested, though.

I suspect it does.

Halmyre July 1st 05 10:47 PM

Catman wrote:
> Halmyre wrote:
>

>>Catman wrote:

>>>Personally, first time, I'd get it checked by a pro, in case it does
>>>indicate a problem. You might be able to reset it, which could be useful
>>>cos AIUI if it's airbag, it's an MOT fail. ISTBC
>>>

>>My 156 passed its MOT even though the airbag warning light was on. It
>>might depend on where you get it tested, though.
>>

> I suspect it does.

A small piece of black electrician's tape, suitably applied, might do
the trick...

--
Halmyre

MatC July 8th 05 12:37 PM

"Halmyre" > wrote in message
> Catman wrote:
>> Halmyre wrote:

>>>My 156 passed its MOT even though the airbag warning light was on. It
>>>might depend on where you get it tested, though.
>>>

>> I suspect it does.

> A small piece of black electrician's tape, suitably applied, might do the
> trick...
>
> --
> Halmyre

Think I'll go fing the tape for the time being, the cars just been
serviced...