AutoBanter

-   Ford Explorer (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   1993 Ford Explorer..4X4 won't engage (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=20857)

teddysc November 22nd 04 09:19 PM

1993 Ford Explorer..4X4 won't engage

My '93 Explorer 4x4 won't engage. (I have 180,00 miles and running
strong!!) I took it to a local repair shop and they said they had to
tear the dash apart to get to the sender switch..Is this true????they
were talking $600.00 to fix the problem..Can any of you help me????Is
the 4x4 switch removable without taking the dash apart????

jerermy November 23rd 04 12:44 AM

right behind the dash where the button to engage the 4x4 might be
unplugged, happened to me. I just pop my dash out a little and plugged it
back in and walla!

John Riggs November 23rd 04 01:53 AM

Got a small hammer?

om...

AZGuy November 23rd 04 06:10 AM

On 22 Nov 2004 13:19:28 -0800, (teddysc) wrote:

>My '93 Explorer 4x4 won't engage. (I have 180,00 miles and running
>strong!!) I took it to a local repair shop and they said they had to
>tear the dash apart to get to the sender switch..Is this true????they
>were talking $600.00 to fix the problem..Can any of you help me????Is
>the 4x4 switch removable without taking the dash apart????

If it is the switch (most likely it is not), it takes about 5 minutes
to pull the dash face off and get to it. Most of the time the problem
with 4x4 not engaging is that the motor on the transfer case has
stopped working. Whacking it can be a short term fix. Removing,
disassembling, and cleaning it is a long term fix, as is buying a new
one for around $150 and replacing it if you don't want to take the old
motor apart.
--
Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the
establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . .
Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of
the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order
to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House
of Representatives, August 17, 1789