AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Synthetic vs. Dino (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=17818)

VA_Tech_Hokies December 9th 04 06:51 PM

Synthetic vs. Dino

Any opinions about the performance of these two oil chemistries?

Lawrence Glickman December 9th 04 09:41 PM

On 9 Dec 2004 10:51:58 -0800, "VA_Tech_Hokies" >
wrote:

>Any opinions about the performance of these two oil chemistries?

If you change your oil and filter at 3000 mile intervals, you should
not notice much if any of a difference between them. Some people say
synthetic cleans your engine better. Don't know, never use the stuff.

Lg

y_p_w December 10th 04 07:06 AM

VA_Tech_Hokies wrote:

> Any opinions about the performance of these two oil chemistries?

What do you mean by **two** chemistries?

So called "dino" oil may now include Type I or Type II/III
hydrocracked base oils. These are much better than "conventional"
oil made just 10 years ago.

Synthetic oils may include polyalphaolefin, polyol esters, etc.
Mobil 1 is a blend of several. They're still considered better
than conventional oils. Some manufacturers sell Type III based
oils as "synthetic". I personally wouldn't pay synthetic oil
prices for this stuff.

Depends on what your needs are. Size and maker of engine. What
ambient temps? Forced induction? There is no simple anwer.

[email protected] December 10th 04 07:58 PM

On 9 Dec 2004 10:51:58 -0800, "VA_Tech_Hokies" > wrote:

||Any opinions about the performance of these two oil chemistries?

Yes, there are several.
Texas Parts Guy

[email protected] December 11th 04 12:39 AM

If it was only two chemisties, that would be too simple. The
possibilities include: "Full", "100%" or whatever. Even the ILSAC or
API's symbol don't offer a solution. "Full" is not the same as "100%".
SM, SAE designation, will soon be seen on qualified lubricants,
synthetic or dino. My personal preference is Amsoil.
RH