AutoBanter

-   Corvette (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Mobil One Synthetic alternative? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=33003)

[email protected] May 18th 05 03:07 AM

Mobil One Synthetic alternative?

Chevy says use Mobil 1 Synthetic in the C5's. Is there something
alternative that can be used?

-akak

StingRay May 18th 05 04:19 AM

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Chevy says use Mobil 1 Synthetic in the C5's. Is there something
> alternative that can be used?
>
> -akak

Is there any particular reason that you'd want to use something other than
the oil recommended by the manufacturer? Is the climate around Mount Laurel,
NJ different than the rest of the country? Just curious. Having said that,
you'd probably be safe in using any top-of-the-line brand name synthetic
oil.

Vandervecken May 18th 05 05:02 AM

They recommend the same for C6's, but also give a GM spec - GM4718M - in
the owner's manual and say any oil meeting that spec is acceptable.

-- Vandervecken

Paul H. May 18th 05 06:21 AM

StingRay wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>Chevy says use Mobil 1 Synthetic in the C5's. Is there something
>>alternative that can be used?
>>
>>-akak
>>

> Is there any particular reason that you'd want to use something other than
> the oil recommended by the manufacturer? Is the climate around Mount Laurel,
> NJ different than the rest of the country? Just curious. Having said that,
> you'd probably be safe in using any top-of-the-line brand name synthetic
> oil.

After the newspaper article last Saturday regarding the low mileage
sludging problems Toyota is having--and their ways around the warranty
issues, I'd be tempted to stick by the owner's manual.

One practical difference in synthetics is foaming resistance. I think
this is probably less critical in the small-block GM engines than in
some of the "watchworks" machines out of Japan and Europe but, it's one
more variable worth avoiding. ....Paul H.

[email protected] May 19th 05 04:16 AM

Having been on an Exxon boycott for since the Oil disaster in Alaska
back in the 80's, I refuse to use any Exxon products. Now that they own
Mobil, I refuse to use their oil products as well.

I speek from personal experience when Exxon came to us to mount piece
from the Valdez on plaques to hand out to their employee's. Not to
mention they still never cleaned up the mess they created in Alaska.

[email protected] May 19th 05 04:16 AM

thank you, I will check it out.

-akak

RicSeyler May 19th 05 06:18 PM

Here, here........ Bushies tried to get drilling off of my back yard in
the Gulf.
Pristine Sugar white sand beaches and beautiful emerald green water.
But thankfully failed...... Anyone that has been on a Texas beach and seen
or stepped into the tar balls, the trash that washes up and the film on
the surf break
knows there is no way to control all the remnants that come from it....
Especially
when you deal with giant global corporations and politicians with direct
financial ties
to the industry......

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove –SPAM- from email address
--------------------------------------
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson

[email protected] May 19th 05 06:51 PM

There was a pipeline spill outside my street back in the Northridge
Earthquake of '93, Arco was out that night cleaning up that mess.
Unfortunately I had to drive my Toy 4x4 through the oil. They cut my a
check the next day for a complete detail and water blasting to remove
any tar. They were great. They stayed 2 weeks making sure the community
was happy. They get all my biz.

Anyways... with the GM spec from the previous post I will try Shell or
Valvoline. Thanks everyone....

-akak

Charlie May 20th 05 05:37 AM

What Texas beach are you talking about?

--
Charlie
!993 Corvette Convertible

Steve Rader May 20th 05 06:13 PM

Excellent quality synthetic lubricants (probably better than Mobil 1) can be
purchased from Royal Purple or Redline.
Steve
'04 Z16 Commemorative

P.S - Just because a manufacturer "recommends" a certain product doesn't
mean its the best. All it usually means is that the financial incentive is
stronger.

oups.com...