AutoBanter

-   Jeep (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   96 XJ 4.0 auto transmission trouble (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=72343)

JC August 15th 06 03:29 AM

96 XJ 4.0 auto transmission trouble

Took my Cherokee to the outer banks to do some fishing and drove it in the
sand until noticing it was overheating. Immediately stopped and let it cool
down and realized I was losing coolant. Replaced the water pump and
thermostat after carefully driving it home but now the transmission shifts
from first to overdrive if I have it in D, or first to third if in 3. Fluid
level is normal, and other than the shifting problem it runs fine. has
anybody seen this problem and is there a fix (other than replacing the
transmission)?
thanks,
JC

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_] August 15th 06 04:24 AM

96 XJ 4.0 auto transmission trouble

Hi JC,
I betting your Throttle Position Sensor is drench in coolant, try
blowing it out with WD-40 and air pressu
http://members.cox.net/wilsond/tb/tb.html
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Mike Romain August 15th 06 02:27 PM

96 XJ 4.0 auto transmission trouble

The TPS on the throttle body controls shift points. When they get
contaminated with stuff like salt water or coolant, they can act
strange. A good spray clean with contact cleaner or WD40 on the TPS
connection might be needed.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's