AutoBanter

-   Driving (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Running a stop sign is not speeding (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=8320)

John F. Carr January 17th 05 10:36 PM

Running a stop sign is not speeding

After a driver rolled through a stop sign at low speed the government
charged him with leading police on a high speed chase, a crime which
requires proof that the driver exceeded the speed limit. Their theory
was, running a stop sign is speeding. One hears the occasional
assertions about "speed limit zero" in this newsgroup but that is not
the law. In an opinion citing Aristotle the Tenth Circuit Court of
Appeals ruled that stop and speed laws are independent and running a
stop sign is not speeding:
<http://pacer.ca10.uscourts.gov/pdf/03-2243.pdf>,
<http://fsnews.findlaw.com/cases/10th/032243.html>.

--
John Carr )

jaybird January 17th 05 11:13 PM

"John F. Carr" > wrote in message

> After a driver rolled through a stop sign at low speed the government
> charged him with leading police on a high speed chase, a crime which
> requires proof that the driver exceeded the speed limit. Their theory
> was, running a stop sign is speeding. One hears the occasional
> assertions about "speed limit zero" in this newsgroup but that is not
> the law. In an opinion citing Aristotle the Tenth Circuit Court of
> Appeals ruled that stop and speed laws are independent and running a
> stop sign is not speeding:
> <http://pacer.ca10.uscourts.gov/pdf/03-2243.pdf>,
> <http://fsnews.findlaw.com/cases/10th/032243.html>.

It makes sense to me. He should've been charged under the state statutes of
evading arrest or detention rather than a federal statute badly worded so
that a person has to go over the speed limit to apply.

--
---
jaybird

jaybird January 17th 05 11:13 PM

Laura Bush murdered her boy friend January 18th 05 03:11 AM

Like hell it ain't the law. A stop sign means you stop, and that means
zero velocity. Anything else is speeding.

Laura Bush murdered her boy friend January 18th 05 03:11 AM

Old Wolf January 18th 05 04:43 AM

C.H. wrote:
> Laura Bush murdered her boy friend wrote:
>
> > Like hell it ain't the law. A stop sign means you stop, and that
> > means zero velocity. Anything else is speeding.

> So you stop at a stop sign forever, because zero speed means that you
> cannot move from there?

Her brain obviously did, long ago..

Old Wolf January 18th 05 04:43 AM

Laura Bush murdered her boy friend January 18th 05 07:03 AM

Stop means stop, you idiot. Tell that to laura bush.

Laura Bush murdered her boy friend January 18th 05 07:03 AM

Stop means stop, you idiot. Tell that to laura bush.

Bill the second January 18th 05 10:50 PM

"Old Wolf" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> C.H. wrote:
>> Laura Bush murdered her boy friend wrote:
>>
>> > Like hell it ain't the law. A stop sign means you stop, and that
>> > means zero velocity. Anything else is speeding.

>> So you stop at a stop sign forever, because zero speed means that you
>> cannot move from there?
>>

> Her brain obviously did, long ago..

Judy has a brain?