AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   New tire, replace two? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=34233)

[email protected] June 1st 05 12:38 PM

New tire, replace two?

One tire is ripped up and has to be replaced. So the question
is........should I buy two. The set has 29000 miles on them.

Thanks

Al Bundy June 1st 05 12:54 PM

For me it depends on whether you have a full sixed spare that is new
and could be matched with the one purchased. If not, I would buy two
new ones and a rim so I would have two new tires on that axle and a
full sized spare with 29,000 miles on it.

[email protected] June 1st 05 01:11 PM

Thanks Al. So the next question is if the full size spare will fit in
the space where the donut was.

June 1st 05 01:58 PM

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Thanks Al. So the next question is if the full size spare will fit in
> the space where the donut was.

29,000 miles is not much life, in my opinion...What kind of tires did you
have, and
on what sort of vehicle? If the failure were due to a puncture, road
hazard, etc and
not just worn out, I might replace it with a duplicate. If they were both
beginning to
wear out, I would replace both as an axle set.

It is always nice to have a full sized spare, but most cars with doughnut
spares dont
accomodate them well.

ray June 1st 05 04:34 PM

wrote:
> One tire is ripped up and has to be replaced. So the question
> is........should I buy two. The set has 29000 miles on them.
>
> Thanks

yes.
or no.

Do you drive agressively?
What condition is the other tire in?
Do you have lots of money?
Is it a new sports car or a 10 year old minivan?

You _should_ replace tires in pairs, but it's not like your car is going
to self-destruct if you don't.

However, if you only change one ti
you might end up with a steering wheel pull that won't go away.
in snow or ice you might have traction issues.

I've done one tire changes, but I much prefer to change them in pairs
and keep one as a full size spare.

Ray

Al Bundy June 1st 05 09:50 PM

wrote:
> Thanks Al. So the next question is if the full size spare will fit in
> the space where the donut was.

And chances are that it won't fit. So it's up to you what that extra
reliability might be worth in terms of storing the tire elsewhere and
putting some other gear where the space saver tire was. Tires are very
good these days and flats are not common on good tires.
The bottom line is that I still want two matched tires on the front or
rear axle. If it's front wheel drive this is more important on the
front. Uneven sized tires on the front will cause uneven braking and
slipping on bad roads. Uneven tires on the back are less critical for
braking, but more important to your differnetial if it's rear wheel
drive.
Based on what little you have posted so far I say buy two new tires,
keep the space saver, and pitch the odd tire with 29,000 miles on it
because the cost of remounting and balancing is not worth saving it.

Alex Rodriguez June 2nd 05 05:54 PM

In article . com>,
says...

>Thanks Al. So the next question is if the full size spare will fit in
>the space where the donut was.

Maybe, maybe not. Measure a wheel on the car and then measure the space
for the spare.
Alex