AutoBanter

-   Ford Explorer (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Climate control mode question (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=20774)

FerdyPooh November 6th 04 11:16 PM

Climate control mode question

Do all Ford vehicles "leak" air to the floor vents when the climate control
selector is set to dash outlet?

Every Ford I've ever owned lets air leak through to the floor vents when the
selector is set to dash outlet. It's a absolutely aggravating thing to have
my feet freezing when the A/C is on. Great job, Ford. If I want air coming
out of the floor vents, I'd set the selector to bi-level. By the way,
setting it to bi-level just barely changes the amount of air coming from the
floor vents.

Incidentally, this is a 2005 XLS. And before any of you say "Take it in to
service, something's wrong with it", no, there is nothing wrong with it. I
checked two other '05 XLS's on the lot, same options and equipment, and both
of them do the same thing. Had a 96 Taurus that did it too. I'm so glad
that this is a company vehicle, I would NEVER spend my money on the damned
thing, just for this very mode control problem.

The only solution I can see (and I HATE having to rig something up, when it
should work correctly from the beginning) is to tape over the floor vent or
cut a plug out of some material and plug it like a cork. How would you like
to have to reach into the floor well every time you switched to heat?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. If anyone from Ford monitors this
group, you'd better change the air box handling design if you ever want my
personal business---

JaWise November 8th 04 06:35 AM

>Every Ford I've ever owned lets air leak through to the floor vents when the
>selector is set to dash outlet.

I noticed this on my 2002 EB. It's a pain in the summer when I'm wearing
sandals. Gets your toes really cold.

Also the side window demisters tend to put out cooler air then comes out of the
floor vents or panel.