AutoBanter

-   BMW (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   That square thing in bumper (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=38623)

[email protected] July 19th 05 09:36 PM

That square thing in bumper

What is the purpose of that small (2-inch square) indent in the rear
bumpers of BMWs? It's the border that is indented (the interior of the
square being flush with the bumper surface)and it looks like it could
be punched out.

joe_tide July 19th 05 09:54 PM

There should be one in the front bumper too.

It's where you screw in the eyelet from the toolbox for pulling the car if
it gets stuck.

oups.com...

Branden Nelsen July 19th 05 09:54 PM

You can pop that cover out and there is a "Screw" hole behind it. In the lid
of your truck you should have a Tow hook that looks like a "Eye-let" that
you can screw in there.

or in short.... its the tow point of your car.

-Branden

oups.com...

Trey July 19th 05 11:21 PM

"Branden Nelsen" > wrote in message
> You can pop that cover out and there is a "Screw" hole behind it. In the
> lid of your truck you should have a Tow hook that looks like a "Eye-let"
> that you can screw in there.
>
> or in short.... its the tow point of your car.

there is a similar set up on the side of the car for the jack isnt there?

Dave Plowman (News) July 19th 05 11:35 PM

In article >,
joe_tide > wrote:
> There should be one in the front bumper too.

> It's where you screw in the eyelet from the toolbox for pulling the car
> if it gets stuck.

Strange it's at the back?

I'd always thought it was for lashing the car down on ships, etc. Doesn't
look terribly substantial for towing with.

--
*Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

JRE July 20th 05 01:41 AM

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

>In article >,
> joe_tide > wrote:
>

>>There should be one in the front bumper too.
>>

>>It's where you screw in the eyelet from the toolbox for pulling the car
>>if it gets stuck.
>>

>Strange it's at the back?

There's one at each end.

>I'd always thought it was for lashing the car down on ships, etc. Doesn't
>look terribly substantial for towing with.

The owner's manual specifically says it's for towing, with some limitations.

JRE

joe_tide July 20th 05 01:47 AM

Both ends Dave.

I don't think it's actually for towing. More like if you do something stupid
and end up somewhere where you can't get out. If someone has a winch, truck,
etc., they can latch on to that and yank you out of your prediciment. Gently
of course. ;-)

Dean Dark July 20th 05 01:51 AM

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 20:41:07 -0400, JRE > wrote:

>>>It's where you screw in the eyelet from the toolbox for pulling the car
>>>if it gets stuck.

>The owner's manual specifically says it's for towing, with some limitations.

Limitations. Ha! Reminds me of about 10 years ago when a maniac
friend of mine had bought a true, jacked up, professionally done and
insanely powerful 'monster' truck from a distressed owner "just for
the hell of it." My ancient and far more modest Chevy C10 had been
snowed in up to the windows for several days, and all the snow had
pretty much turned to ice.

Lou attached chains to the rear of his monster and to the front axle
of my truck. He took the strain on the chains and then skillfully
gunned it. I came out of the packed ice like a cork out of a bottle.

No damage. Except for mild whiplash.
--
Dan.

Jeff Strickland July 20th 05 02:01 AM

There is a tool in the trunk that is used by the tow truck to pull the car
onto a flat-bed, or out of a snow bank. The tool screws into a hole that is
behind a cover that is about 2 inches square. Use a screwdriver (also in the
tool kit) to pop the cover off, and screw the loop into the newly exposed
hole.

oups.com...

Jeff Strickland July 20th 05 02:02 AM

It's not for towing, per se. It's used to hook the cable to to drag the car
onto a flat bed tow truck.