AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   2001 Bonneville Steering Problem (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=67308)

[email protected] June 12th 06 12:45 PM

2001 Bonneville Steering Problem

All of a sudden, when I turn the steering wheel on our 2001 Bonneville
at low speeds I hear this clunk-clunk-clunk noise. The car has 40K
miles on it. The p/s fluid level is fine. What is going wrong?

Richard & Frances Bunevitch
318 Quince Ct
Hollidaysburg, PA 16648

MasterBlaster June 13th 06 12:34 AM

2001 Bonneville Steering Problem

> wrote

> All of a sudden, when I turn the steering wheel on our 2001 Bonneville
> at low speeds I hear this clunk-clunk-clunk noise. The car has 40K
> miles on it. The p/s fluid level is fine. What is going wrong?

Only when the car is moving?
Only when the wheel is turned a lot?
Likely one of the front axle CV joints.

[email protected] June 13th 06 11:22 AM

2001 Bonneville Steering Problem

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 23:34:46 GMT, "MasterBlaster"
> wrote:

> wrote
>
>> All of a sudden, when I turn the steering wheel on our 2001 Bonneville
>> at low speeds I hear this clunk-clunk-clunk noise. The car has 40K
>> miles on it. The p/s fluid level is fine. What is going wrong?

>Only when the car is moving?
>Only when the wheel is turned a lot?
>Likely one of the front axle CV joints.

Yes, it is only when the car is moving and the wheel is turned a lot.
Thanks for the info, I will get the CV joints checked out.

dlsnyder July 2nd 07 05:43 AM

2001 Bonneville Steering Problem

There are tec buletins out about lubrication the steering shaft. I had
this on my bonnie, it felt like the steering shaft was loose, a dealer
and $85 took care of it. I don't understand why GM built so many cars
with this defect. My 2003 aurora has it too.

--
dlsnyder
dlsnyder's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=520940

http://www.automotiveforums.com