AutoBanter

-   Honda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   1998 Honda Accord V6 (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=11771)

[email protected] December 28th 04 04:11 PM

1998 Honda Accord V6

Hi,

I have a 1998 Honda accord v6. It's has an automatic transmission.

When i race the engine on a freeway, i can feel the gears changing. Is
this normal? if not what could be the problem.

Ritesh N.

Dick December 28th 04 04:54 PM

When you say you "race the engine", what do you mean? If you mean you
press on the gas pedal, and feel the transmission shifting down into a
lower gear, that is normal depending upon how hard you push.

[email protected] December 28th 04 09:40 PM

Yeah if i press on the gas pedal hard, i can feel the transmission
shifting.. Just would like to know if this is normal or not.

Also anyideas on what is the miles per gallon an accord ex v6 gives..

ritesh

Dick December 28th 04 11:15 PM

Yes, that is completely normal. All cars with automatic transmissions
work the same way. Otherwise, the engine would lug when you step on
the gas hard. So it downshifts to get the engine in a better RPM
range for acceleration.

Our '99 (same engine) gave us 32mpg on the road, and about 26mpg
overall, but we don't live in a big city. Our '03 gives us 34mpg on
the road.

Dick

[email protected] December 29th 04 03:14 PM

I'm getting around 17mpg.

Is there anything i need to check to see why i am getting such low
mileage.

Ritesh

Dick December 29th 04 03:38 PM

The first thing to look at is your driving style. Then the mix of
city/country driving. One thing most people don't realize is that the
more you use your brakes, the worse your gas mileage will be. Brakes
use up horsepower in the form of heat. The more heat you burn off,
the more engine horsepower it takes to create the need to dump heat.
If you are the type that accelerates hard in traffic, followed by hard
braking, you are going to get a lot worse mileage than someone who
drives more moderately. There is not much you can do from a
mechanical or electrical standpoint other than check the air filter to
make sure it is clean.

Dick