AutoBanter

-   Audi (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Audi A4 Tempremental starter (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=37794)

Steve Wade July 10th 05 12:57 PM

Audi A4 Tempremental starter

I have an A4 which regularly, over the past few years, has become a bad
starter.

1.8 (110,000)

Engine turns over well but won't fire.

Can't see any pattern - leave to stand or persistence seems to get it done
but Missus not very happy.

I think a cure would be better than a trade-in (and cheaper).

Non-VAG garage says he can't find nothing wrong - any ideas?

Ted July 10th 05 02:38 PM

"Steve Wade" > wrote in message

> I have an A4 which regularly, over the past few years, has become a bad
> starter.
>
> 1.8 (110,000)
>
> Engine turns over well but won't fire.
>
> Can't see any pattern - leave to stand or persistence seems to get it done
> but Missus not very happy.
>
> I think a cure would be better than a trade-in (and cheaper).
>
> Non-VAG garage says he can't find nothing wrong - any ideas?

start by changing the cheap stuff, plugs, leads etc. If that does not
correct the problem then £30 on an ECU check might be worth the money.
Though this does mean car is off the road for 4/5 days. A garage VAG check
would cost much more but the car remains operational.

Steve Sears July 11th 05 02:21 PM

Steve,
Did the "non-VAG garage" pull the error codes from the engine management?
No patterns like following a period of hard driving, rain, refuelling, etc.?
How old is the battery/wires/plugs/?
Cheers!
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ
1980 Audi 5k
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes
(SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

JP Roberts July 13th 05 01:23 PM

Very likely a bad G62 Coolant Temperature Sensor.

My two cents,

JP Roberts

P.S.: Had the same symptoms.