AutoBanter

-   VW water cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   96 Jetta timing belt change- won't start (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=72439)

nichandteresa August 15th 06 11:07 PM

96 Jetta timing belt change- won't start

I was working on the timing belt, and when i put everything back
together, the car wouldn't turn over. The timing might be off? Help!
How do i know everything is aligned correctly?

Lost In Space/Woodchuck August 18th 06 03:02 AM

96 Jetta timing belt change- won't start

Get a service manual!

oups.com...

RepairJunkie August 18th 06 04:41 AM

nichandteresa wrote:
> I was working on the timing belt, and when i put everything back
> together, the car wouldn't turn over. The timing might be off? Help!
> How do i know everything is aligned correctly?

Won't turn over usually means - nothing rotates. Turns over, but won't
start is what I think you are asking. If the upper toothed sprocket is
not precisely synchronized with the lower one then it won't work. You
probably know this. I believe the crank shaft can be rotated twice and
because it is geared down with a 2:1 ratio to the distributor that you
could conceivably have assembled it with the cam and crank toothed
sprockets synchronized, but with the distributor 180 degrees out of
phase. This may be the case if the belt broke while driving (before
you replaced it). To fix -- remove distributor, rotate half a circle
and replace. You really need to read a manual. The crank rotates 2x
for every 1x the cam rotates. A manual will show you where to check
for the three specific check points. I had the shop manul and Haynes
and I am really really glad that I did not have to realign everything
because my belt was still in working order when I replaced it. I
couldn't find the crankshaft markings -- but usually this just means
that they are right in front of me. If you want to, got to the dealer
and tell one of the mechanics. Ask 'em nice and they might print up a
picture of the alignment marks for you for free -- otherwise slip 'em a
few bucks when the boss isn't looking. I used to wait by the parts
counter to do this.
Good Luck