AutoBanter

-   Chrysler (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Head Gasket Leak? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=8401)

Mandrake October 10th 04 10:16 PM

Head Gasket Leak?

consider also that this could be caused by a cracked cyl head..

"Geoff" > wrote in message
icas.hpqcorp.net...

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

> Date: 29 Sep 2004 08:25:54 -0600
> From: Joe Pfeiffer >
> Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.chrysler
> Subject: Head Gasket Leak?
>
> Geoff > writes:
>
> > Dave McCormick wrote:
> > >
> > > 1990 3.3L Grand Voyager - lots of miles. When it gets hot, lots and
> > > lots of gas bubbles start appearing in the coolant overflow container.
> > > I've seen this before in other vehicles - I gather there can't be any
> > > other cause than a leaky head gasket, right? Is there any need to
> > > confirm this cause with any reliable test?

> > It probably is a head gasket leak. One reliable test you could perform
> > that is also inexpensive is a compression check. It sounds like the
> > leak is between one of the cylinders and a water jacket; a compression
> > check would reveal one cylinder with low compression, or possibly two
> > next to each other with low compression.
> >
> > I believe you can get a compression tester for under $50.

> His car has already flunked a pretty reliable test of head gasket
> integrity....
>
> I once had a car with a blown head gasket that flunked the bubble test
> but had compression within specs on all cylinders.

Really? Did you find the source of the leak?

I agree, the overheating and bubbling into the coolant reservoir is
probably enough to condemn a headgasket in this case. I understand there
are also kits you
can get that will detect the presence of exhaust gasses in the coolant;
these can be used
to confirm a head gasket diagnosis when the problem is less obvious.

But a bubbler that passed a compression check, eh? Wow. I didn't know
that could happen. Did one of the cylinders have lower compression than
the others, but still read nominally within spec?

--Geoff