AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Plymouth Breeze possible transmission problem (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=21760)

George Brims January 21st 05 01:05 AM

Plymouth Breeze possible transmission problem

My '97 Breeze (middle aged but comfortable, much like myself) has
developed a habit of juddering and almost stalling when I am stopped at
a light. It's as if the bit of magic that makes it disengage the auto
transmission when you come to a halt has forgotten how to do it. Anyone
seen this before? I remember a rental car about 20 years ago that would
stall at lights but it was a real piece of junk anyway (one of those
local places that only has clunkers). Oh and before anyone says it, I
will check the fluid level tonight!

George

Professor January 21st 05 01:16 AM

Well, the lockup torque converter might be sticking. The result is that
it feels like you are not putting the clutch in at a stop with a stick
transmission.
See if it does it while stopping from only a speed of 25 where the
converter doesn't lock up anyway.
Changing that torque converter solenoid is not terribly expensive,
nothing like a new transmission. Actually, you could live without that
lockup and suffer only a bit worse gas mileage and a constant check
engine light. You could achieve tht by pulling the plug to the
transmission and driving it that way, which will confirm the diagnosis.
It is also possible to just severe the power wire to the solenoid.