AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   wanted: exhaust manifold for 79 California Bus (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=13817)

Robert Winters December 21st 04 05:07 AM

wanted: exhaust manifold for 79 California Bus

My mechanic and I have been trying to locate a hard-to-find exhaust
manifold for a 79 California Bus, part number 039-251-551. It's shown
as part "I" in the Bus-Boys diagram shown on:
http://www.bus-boys.com/exhaustcomp1979-cal.html#I

Can anyone help me locate this part? It's getting cold here in
Massachusetts and I could really use the heat.

Robert Winters

Busahaulic December 21st 04 06:59 AM

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you search for such a
hard-to-find item when you obviously are not in CA and obviously don't need
it? Is it simply a desire to keep everything stock, as in totally stock?
Maybe you'll luck out and find one, but I considered myself extremely lucky
when I found a set of non-CA '79 bus heat exchangers that weren't burned
out! I searched for about 5 years before I found them. That left side CA
H.E. must be one of the toughest parts in the entire ACVW world to find (in
usable condition!)

Why not "un-CA" it and go for the almost-as-tough-to-find non CA heat
exchangers for '79? You can still run a cat if you need to. Do you have all
the EGR components in good working order? Considering that the '79 bus
exhaust parts were single year and then paring that down to the CA-only
parts - Good Luck! I was almost to the point of switching to earlier model
heads so I could run the heat exchangers that are actually available - even
new! I suppose a person could modify a set of Vanagon exchangers if they
were really creative.

Let us know how the search goes... -Bah

oups.com...

Robert Winters December 22nd 04 01:22 AM

Robert Winters wrote:
> Can anyone help me locate this part? It's getting cold here in
> Massachusetts and I could really use the heat.

Correction: I spoke with my mechanic today. He says the part we still
need is the "junction elbow from the (left) heater box to the control
valve". In the diagram in the link below, it's what fits on top of part
K at the far left in the diagram. Apparently, this is specific to the 79
California Bus.
http://www.bus-boys.com/exhaustcomp1979-cal.html

If anyone has this part or knows where I can get one (actually, I
wouldn't mind just knowing the part number), let me know.

Robert Winters

Robert Winters December 22nd 04 01:34 AM

Busahaulic wrote:
> Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you search for such a
> hard-to-find item when you obviously are not in CA and obviously don't need
> it? Is it simply a desire to keep everything stock, as in totally stock?
> Maybe you'll luck out and find one, but I considered myself extremely lucky
> when I found a set of non-CA '79 bus heat exchangers that weren't burned
> out! I searched for about 5 years before I found them. That left side CA
> H.E. must be one of the toughest parts in the entire ACVW world to find (in
> usable condition!)
>
> Why not "un-CA" it and go for the almost-as-tough-to-find non CA heat
> exchangers for '79? You can still run a cat if you need to. Do you have all
> the EGR components in good working order? Considering that the '79 bus
> exhaust parts were single year and then paring that down to the CA-only
> parts - Good Luck! I was almost to the point of switching to earlier model
> heads so I could run the heat exchangers that are actually available - even
> new! I suppose a person could modify a set of Vanagon exchangers if they
> were really creative.

You're right about the wisdom of transforming the California Bus into a
"Federal" Bus or, better yet, replacing the heads with ones compatible
with the more widely available components. My old 79 Bus was from the
other 49 states and, though it wasn't easy to rehab, it sure was a lot
easier than this.

By the way, it turns out that we actually have the part that I
mentioned. What's missing now is the junction elbow that connects the
(left) heater box up to the control valve.

The diagram:

Speedy Jim December 22nd 04 01:40 AM

Robert Winters wrote:

> Robert Winters wrote:
>
>> Can anyone help me locate this part? It's getting cold here in
>> Massachusetts and I could really use the heat.

> Correction: I spoke with my mechanic today. He says the part we still
> need is the "junction elbow from the (left) heater box to the control
> valve". In the diagram in the link below, it's what fits on top of part
> K at the far left in the diagram. Apparently, this is specific to the 79
> California Bus.
> http://www.bus-boys.com/exhaustcomp1979-cal.html
>
> If anyone has this part or knows where I can get one (actually, I
> wouldn't mind just knowing the part number), let me know.
>
> Robert Winters

Is that part of the heating system? As opposed to something exhaust gas
actually goes thru.
Looks like part of the heat exchanger sheet metal.
Consider making the part.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Karl December 22nd 04 03:37 AM

He needs #2 in this pic:
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Microfiche/t202410.gif

Part # 071 256 051 fits 212 2000 001 ---> 214 2300 000 and 219 2000 001 --> to the end of 79.

[part # 021 256 051C fits 75 to end of 78]

BTW, that 071 256 051 pipe also fits 80-83.5 Vanagon! 49 state Fed version
80-83.5 Cal pipe is 071 256 051A

Speedy Jim December 22nd 04 04:16 AM

Karl wrote:

> He needs #2 in this pic:
> http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Microfiche/t202410.gif
>
> Part # 071 256 051 fits 212 2000 001 ---> 214 2300 000 and 219 2000 001 --> to the end of 79.
>
> [part # 021 256 051C fits 75 to end of 78]
>
> BTW, that 071 256 051 pipe also fits 80-83.5 Vanagon! 49 state Fed version
> 80-83.5 Cal pipe is 071 256 051A

Can't source one? Conduit bender and hacksaw.
Jim

Busahaulic December 23rd 04 07:16 AM

Probably more appropriate a piece of exhaust flex-pipe of close to proper
diameter would work to make one

Speedy Jim December 23rd 04 05:26 PM

Busahaulic wrote:

> Probably more appropriate a piece of exhaust flex-pipe of close to proper
> diameter would work to make one

Ooooooooh! I like that one!

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/