AutoBanter

-   BMW (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   E30 engine swap? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=72288)

MarkS August 14th 06 05:12 PM

E30 engine swap?

Hi, my E30 is a 1990 320i SE in excellent condition for its age, has
135k miles, and I intend to keep it for many years, all being well.
Whilst the engine is fine, it does have a few minor issues, such as
weeping oil seals and sump gasket and some coolant seep from various
junctions. It could also do with new rubber hoses all round, a new
timing belt and tappets adjusting etc, and generally needs attention.
The gearbox needs the linkage bushings renewed. With this in mind, and
the fact that I fancy a project, I have wondered about acquiring an M20
B25 motor and gearbox, stripping and rebuilding it in the garage, and
then swapping it into the car. The end result would be an 'almost like
new' engine with no leaks or rattles, and I wouldn't say no to the
extra HP from the 325i unit.

So really the questions are; what work would be recommended in order to
rebuild an M20 to 'nearly like new' condition: main bearings, valve
guides, piston rings, injectors, gaskets, seals? And secondly, what
needs to change on a 320i to convert it properly to a 325i? Engine,
box, diff, ecu, instrument panel chip? What about the OBC (I have the
full 13 button computer with fuel consumption etc)?

I'm aware that there are more adventurous conversions possible, eg to
an M52 etc, but I'd like to keep everything original E30.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on the 320-325 conversion,
or of rebuilding the engine completely?

Thanks!