AutoBanter

-   Jeep (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   new tires..speeo off (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=71570)

Cal[_1_] August 5th 06 09:58 PM

new tires..speeo off

97 wrangler, just put 31's (tires) on it. Speedo says 64 when actually
going about 70 now. Tire guy said may make 1-2 mile per hour difference,
but this is lots more! Any adjustment, or just get used to it?

thanks

cal

DougW August 5th 06 10:05 PM

new tires..speeo off

Cal wrote:
> 97 wrangler, just put 31's (tires) on it. Speedo says 64 when
> actually going about 70 now. Tire guy said may make 1-2 mile per
> hour difference, but this is lots more! Any adjustment, or just get
> used to it?

You need a new gear on the speed sensor.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...R&mn=MOPAR&c=5
among other sites.

--
DougW

billy ray August 5th 06 11:46 PM

new tires..speeo off

Generally Jeep speedometers get more accurate with larger tires.

How did you get your numbers?

m...

Cal[_1_] August 6th 06 04:58 AM

new tires..speeo off

got my numbers by my son following me in his wrangler, me in my GC. I know
my speedo is about 1 mph off (in the GC) because of the radars that display
speed on the side of the road used by our local police. We compared our
speeds by cell phone. I know not the most accurate way to do this....

cal

Cal[_1_] August 6th 06 02:59 PM

new tires..speeo off

Several gears to choose from....how do you determine which one you need?

cal

Lon August 6th 06 05:29 PM

new tires..speeo off

Got any reasonably lightly travelled highways in the area? Run at
steady speed past 10 of the numbered markers along the highway using a
stopwatch for timing. Poor man's VASCAR. GPS would work as well.

Cal proclaimed:
> got my numbers by my son following me in his wrangler, me in my GC. I know
> my speedo is about 1 mph off (in the GC) because of the radars that display
> speed on the side of the road used by our local police. We compared our
> speeds by cell phone. I know not the most accurate way to do this....
>
> cal
>
> "billy ray" > wrote in message
>
>>Generally Jeep speedometers get more accurate with larger tires.
>>
>>How did you get your numbers?

. com...

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_] August 6th 06 11:26 PM

new tires..speeo off

http://www.raingler.com/tech/speedoChart.asp
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Cal[_1_] August 6th 06 11:44 PM

new tires..speeo off

Bill,
Thanks for the chart link! Looking at the chart, what is R&P? I understand
that the top grey line is the tire size (we used 31" tires.) But i don't
know what the R&P (the numbers in gray from top to bottom of chart?)
represents.
thanks for your help!

cal

Art[_2_] August 6th 06 11:50 PM

new tires..speeo off

R&P = Ring and Pinion gear ratio. This is the gear ratio for the
differential. If you don't know what yours is, there should be a metal
tag under a couple of the cover bolts on the differential cover plate.

Art

c[_1_] August 6th 06 11:53 PM

new tires..speeo off

R & P means ring and pinion, which is referring to your gear ratio.

Chris

m...