AutoBanter

-   Ford Explorer (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Location of Fan Blower Resistor (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=71383)

No Twilight August 3rd 06 03:22 PM

Location of Fan Blower Resistor

Help. I can't find the fan blower resistor on my 99 Mercury
Mountaineer with climate control. I bought the replacement part and
expected to find it in the usual location(s)--in the ductwork ds of the
fan under the hood. Well there is a lot if aluminized insulation on
the box but no wires going in that I can see. So I took the glove
compartment out thinking it might be in the passenger compartment--no
joy. Anybody know the location of this part?

Thanks,
Jerry

Steve Sigman August 3rd 06 06:58 PM

ItNo Twilight wrote:
> Help. I can't find the fan blower resistor on my 99 Mercury
> Mountaineer with climate control. I bought the replacement part and
> expected to find it in the usual location(s)--in the ductwork ds of the
> fan under the hood. Well there is a lot if aluminized insulation on
> the box but no wires going in that I can see. So I took the glove
> compartment out thinking it might be in the passenger compartment--no
> joy. Anybody know the location of this part?
>
> Thanks,
> Jerry

It is in the blower housing but the auto climate control does not use a
resistor. It uses a motor controller which is significantly more
expensive. If you're looking under the hood at the blower motor the
controller is at about 5 o'clock. There's a black wireplug that goes
into it.

Steven Hilgendorf August 3rd 06 07:03 PM

Location of Fan Blower Resistor

On the 1998 Mountaineer the Blower Motor Switch Resistor, if that's what
you're referring to:

The heater blower motor switch resistor has the following features:

1. - The assembly is located on the evaporator housing in the engine
compartment.

2. - Three resistance elements are mounted on the resistor board to
provide four blower motor speeds.

3. - Depending on the heater blower motor switch position, series
resistance is added or bypassed in the blower motor circuit to decrease
or increase blower motor speed.

4. - An overheating protective device (thermal limiter) will open the
resistor coil circuit when the temperature reaches 121ºC (250ºF)
interrupting the blower motor operation in all speeds except HI.

5. - The thermal limiter cannot be reset and is not serviceable.

Good luck,

Steven

No Twilight August 4th 06 01:47 PM

Location of Fan Blower Resistor

Thanks Steve,
That was the problem. The dealer sold me a resistor and I needed the
controller. They should have the controller for me today and I can see
where it goes. Thanks, Jerry

No Twilight August 5th 06 03:59 PM

Location of Fan Blower Resistor

OK. Followup. It's a little difficult to get to. The screws that
hold it in are sheetmetal screws and take an 8mm socket. I removed
what I think is the cruise control actuator (one 10mm head screw) and
used a 1/4" drive ratchet to remove the outboard one--slow and tedious.
I used a replacable tipped screwdriver adapted to the 8mm socket with
about 10" of extension to reach the inboard one pretty easily. You'll
need a flashlight or shoplight even in good lighting.

Fan works fine now. (symptom was no controlled speeds, only high and
off)

--Jer