AutoBanter

-   Dodge (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   99 Intrtepid To Much Oil Damage (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=4058)

Ed Varin May 25th 04 04:38 PM

99 Intrtepid To Much Oil Damage

I own a 99 Intrepid 2.7 with about 82K on it. The timing chain was making
noise so I had it towed to Elmwood Dodge in East Providence RI. A new timing
chain, water pump, belts were installed for 1300 dollars. I picked up the
car and after about 300 miles started to get a noise in the motor, the oil
light would come on at an idle and the car started running rough at an idle.
I checked the oil and it appears to have been "Double filled" being 5 quarts
over. I had it towed back to the dealer and was told the noise is a piston
noise. They assumed responsibility for the overfill of oil and are stating
that would not lead to piston damage. Is this true?

Da News June 8th 04 04:02 PM

No it's not! The 2.7 engine is crap. It can not cycle oil properly instead
it cooks it, plugging up the pick up tube. We have 2000 w/58000 and the
engine is toast. We have an extended warranty for 60000 k/ 7yr. They may
just replace the bad parts and that's all. Once it's fixed we will dump it
and move on. It does sound though that there is a class action building for
this. Do a search for " Dodge 2.7 " and you will find out.

http://www.anyboard.net/autos/cars/cars/gindex.html

Da News June 8th 04 04:02 PM