AutoBanter

-   Ford Explorer (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Humming '96 EB 4x4 (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=66738)

KJ June 4th 06 05:41 PM

Humming '96 EB 4x4

My '96 EB 4x4 emits a loud humming sound from the front end that is loudest
between 40 and 50 mph. The sound goes away when I steer to the right, but
is unaffected when I steer left, so I figured that it must be the bearing
and hub assembly on the right side of the truck (steering to the right
unloads the right side bearings). I replaced the assembly, but the noise is
still there. Since my tires were getting close to the point where I'd have
to replace them, I went ahead and bought a new set of Michelins...no luck.

I'm stumped at this point. Any suggestions? I did check the lubricant
level of the front diff, and it's fine.

Thanks!
KJ

JohanB June 4th 06 06:11 PM

Humming '96 EB 4x4

If you steer right you put the weight of the car on the left wheels making
it louder.

KJ June 4th 06 06:37 PM

Humming '96 EB 4x4

You're correct, the weight of the car does go to the left wheels when I
steer right. That's why the sound goes away when I steer to the right...the
bearing on the right side of the car unloads.

JohanB June 4th 06 07:16 PM

Humming '96 EB 4x4

Yeah, your right, to early to think straight for me :-)