AutoBanter

-   Ford Mustang (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Points to Electronic conversion (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=25779)

MJT March 2nd 05 05:48 PM

Points to Electronic conversion

I am looking to convert my 65 mustang points to an electronic ignition and
have found the Pertronix Ignitor II and the CraneCams XR-I

Any comments or advice on making a choice?

Thanks!

Michel.

Wound Up March 2nd 05 06:17 PM

Petronix is the way to go. No ifs, ands or buts IMO. 15 min., and $70
later, you have a cleaner and hotter spark, no fuss, no points, that's
it. Their coil is a quality piece as well.

--
Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65

[email protected] March 2nd 05 06:17 PM

The Ignitor II has a bad rep for reliability. Mine fried after about
500 miles, and unlike points when they go they go without warning. The
Ignitor I on other hand has a better rep (altho it is also known to
crap out), and it's quite a bit cheaper.

180 Out

Wound Up March 2nd 05 06:18 PM

wrote:
> The Ignitor II has a bad rep for reliability. Mine fried after about
> 500 miles, and unlike points when they go they go without warning. The
> Ignitor I on other hand has a better rep (altho it is also known to
> crap out), and it's quite a bit cheaper.
>
> 180 Out

Interesting. I might add I have an original Ignitor. No problems for
50,000 miles.

--
Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65

Spike March 2nd 05 08:48 PM

DO NOT throw away the old points. Carry them in a tool kit in the car
just in case. If the Ignitor should fail, and as you can see, some say
they will some say they won't, you can reinstall the points to get you
home. All in all, personally, I'd go ahead and invest in either one (I
like what the II does more). The chance of a failure is there whether
using electronic or points. I'd say the advantages outweigh the risk
and minimal investment.

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 12:48:22 -0500, "MJT" <mjtheriault @
sympatico.ca> wrote:

>I am looking to convert my 65 mustang points to an electronic ignition and
>have found the Pertronix Ignitor II and the CraneCams XR-I
>
>Any comments or advice on making a choice?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Michel.

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16

.boB March 2nd 05 11:41 PM

MJT wrote:

> I am looking to convert my 65 mustang points to an electronic ignition and
> have found the Pertronix Ignitor II and the CraneCams XR-I
>
> Any comments or advice on making a choice?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Michel.

I put a Pertronix in mine a couple of years ago.
It was very simple, only took about 20-30 minutes
(including reading the instructions).

--
..boB
1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged!

66 6F HCS March 5th 05 11:18 PM

> wrote
> The Ignitor II has a bad rep for reliability. Mine fried after about
> 500 miles, and unlike points when they go they go without warning. The
> Ignitor I on other hand has a better rep (altho it is also known to
> crap out), and it's quite a bit cheaper.

I had an Ignitor II on my 'Chero and it worked great for about 500 miles,
then nothing. Instant failure, glad I wasn't driving at the time it crapped
out. I know a guy who was a Pertronix distributor here in Denver. He said
that EVERY SINGLE IGNITOR II he'd sold in the region had been returned. The
original Ignitor, from what I've heard is extremely reliable. I am
considering the Crane conversion with the built in rev-limiter for my '69
though.
--
Scott W.
'66 Mustang HCS 289

Spike March 5th 05 11:40 PM

Which one? Ignitor or Ignitor II ?

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:41:43 -0700, ".boB"

.boB March 6th 05 02:46 AM

Spike wrote:
> Which one? Ignitor or Ignitor II ?

>> I put a Pertronix in mine a couple of years ago.
>>It was very simple, only took about 20-30 minutes
>>(including reading the instructions).

I. At the time, the II was just coming out, and I was
too cheap to pay the extra bux for it.

Spike March 6th 05 06:12 AM

I can identify with that..... Like when I was offered a choice between
a polished AC compressor or the standard.... I went standard and save
the extra cash for the refrigerant to put through it.

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 19:46:03 -0700, ".boB"