AutoBanter

-   General (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   96 Cherokee clutch question (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=58417)

Stumpy March 3rd 06 03:27 PM

96 Cherokee clutch question

I'm getting the clutch replaced Monday, but have a question.

If I turn off the engine while the car is still moving and in gear(clutch
fully depressed). There is a noticeable drag as soon as the engine quits.
Cherokees have a hydraulic clutch, but it's not a "power" clutch like power
brakes, or power steering which require the engine to be running to
function. Why would the car suddenly have this braking effect while in a
gear?

Mike Romain March 4th 06 03:08 PM

96 Cherokee clutch question

It's called engine braking. You are starting to make the engine turn
over with the clutch grabbing.

Why are you getting the clutch replaced? You are describing a failure
of the clutch hydraulic system, not the clutch. You clutch seems to be
grabbing just fine. This can all be fixed from the outside.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Stumpy March 5th 06 07:14 AM

96 Cherokee clutch question

> It's called engine braking. You are starting to make the engine turn
> over with the clutch grabbing.
>
> Why are you getting the clutch replaced? You are describing a failure
> of the clutch hydraulic system, not the clutch. You clutch seems to be
> grabbing just fine. This can all be fixed from the outside.

The slave cylinder too?

Mike Romain March 5th 06 03:08 PM

Stumpy wrote:

> > It's called engine braking. You are starting to make the engine turn
> > over with the clutch grabbing.
> >
> > Why are you getting the clutch replaced? You are describing a failure
> > of the clutch hydraulic system, not the clutch. You clutch seems to be
> > grabbing just fine. This can all be fixed from the outside.
> >

> The slave cylinder too?

Some of the earlier Cherokees had an internal slave. I 'think' the 96
was external, but could be wrong. It is easy enough to look down there
and see.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Stumpy March 6th 06 10:20 PM

96 Cherokee clutch question

> Some of the earlier Cherokees had an internal slave. I 'think' the 96
> was external, but could be wrong. It is easy enough to look down there
> and see.

Yeah it's an external slave cylinder. The shop needed $298 for hydraulics
replacement, they wanted to replace it as a one piece unit with hoses
already attached to both cylinders. If I still have problems the clutch
gets replaced later.