AutoBanter

-   Driving (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Californians: Better Start Shopping for a Hands-Free Kit... (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=73621)

Jason Pawloski September 1st 06 06:56 PM

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 07:41:53 -0700, Scott en Aztlán
> > wrote:
>
> >http://ktla.trb.com/news/ktla-cellba...newsspecial3-1
> >
> >New Bill Would Restrict Cellphone Use by Drivers
> >
> >By Nancy Vogel, Times Staff Writer
> >
> >September 1, 2006, 6:04 AM PDT
> >
> >Bills that received final legislative approval and were sent to the
> >governor Thursday included a measure to ban drivers from talking on
> >cellphones unless they use a headset that frees their hands.
> >
> >Lawmakers had introduced similar measures in each of the last five
> >years to no avail, but Schwarzenegger recently expressed support,
> >saying, "We must make sure that people don't use phones, because it
> >not only endangers them but it endangers everyone else out there."
> >
> >SB 1613 by Sen. Joe Simitian (D-Palo Alto) would make driving while
> >holding a cellphone an infraction starting in 2008.

> More criminal coddling. It says it will be an infraction which is the
> lowest crime level - below felony and misdemeanor. Prolly have a
> fine of $25 as if that's gonna stop anyone.

Well, its a start, anyways. Reform takes time, and its a continual
progression, not a sudden discrete jump.

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_] September 2nd 06 05:23 AM

Californians: Better Start Shopping for a Hands-Free Kit...

On 1 Sep 2006 10:56:38 -0700, "Jason Pawloski" >
wrote:

>Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
>> On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 07:41:53 -0700, Scott en Aztlán
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >http://ktla.trb.com/news/ktla-cellba...newsspecial3-1
>> >
>> >New Bill Would Restrict Cellphone Use by Drivers
>> >
>> >By Nancy Vogel, Times Staff Writer
>> >
>> >September 1, 2006, 6:04 AM PDT
>> >
>> >Bills that received final legislative approval and were sent to the
>> >governor Thursday included a measure to ban drivers from talking on
>> >cellphones unless they use a headset that frees their hands.
>> >
>> >Lawmakers had introduced similar measures in each of the last five
>> >years to no avail, but Schwarzenegger recently expressed support,
>> >saying, "We must make sure that people don't use phones, because it
>> >not only endangers them but it endangers everyone else out there."
>> >
>> >SB 1613 by Sen. Joe Simitian (D-Palo Alto) would make driving while
>> >holding a cellphone an infraction starting in 2008.

>> More criminal coddling. It says it will be an infraction which is the
>> lowest crime level - below felony and misdemeanor. Prolly have a
>> fine of $25 as if that's gonna stop anyone.

>Well, its a start, anyways. Reform takes time, and its a continual
>progression, not a sudden discrete jump.

Oh don't gimme that slow as she goes crap. People have been
phone-driving for over a decade now!!!

John Mara September 2nd 06 04:23 PM

Californians: Better Start Shopping for a Hands-Free Kit...

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:

> Oh don't gimme that slow as she goes crap. People have been
> phone-driving for over a decade now!!!

And it hasn't really caused any problems, now, has it?

John Mara

necromancer[_1_] September 2nd 06 04:29 PM

Californians: Better Start Shopping for a Hands-Free Kit...

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), John Mara said in
rec.autos.driving:
> Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
>
> > Oh don't gimme that slow as she goes crap. People have been
> > phone-driving for over a decade now!!!

> And it hasn't really caused any problems, now, has it?

Only in certain people's imaginations.

--
N ever
S eeing

Pat O'Connell September 2nd 06 04:50 PM

John Mara wrote:
> Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
>
>> Oh don't gimme that slow as she goes crap. People have been
>> phone-driving for over a decade now!!!

> And it hasn't really caused any problems, now, has it?

Yes, cell phones cause problems. I've been hit (while stopped for a red
light, no less) by a guy who had a cell phone jammed in his ear, and
wasn't paying attention to traffic.

--
Pat O'Connell
[note munged EMail address]

Steven J. Sobol September 3rd 06 01:22 AM

In article >, Pat O'Connell wrote:

> Yes, cell phones cause problems. I've been hit (while stopped for a red
> light, no less) by a guy who had a cell phone jammed in his ear, and
> wasn't paying attention to traffic.

It depends on the person. I'm kinda in the middle. I try to avoid having
a phone stuck to my ear when I'm driving, as that detracts from my attention
to the road, as does trying to press buttons. I now have a phone with speaker-
independent voice dial and I have a Bluetooth cordless handsfree, and it's
great, I can keep my eyes on the road and my hands on the wheel at all times.
I have "digit dial" so I can say "digit dial, 760-555-1212" to dial
even numbers that aren't in my phonebook.

But it is true that even with a handsfree, some people will have trouble
concentrating. OTOH, others have good enough concentration that they can use
a cell phone in almost any conditions without problems...

--
Steve Sobol, Professional Geek ** Java/VB/VC/PHP/Perl ** Linux/*BSD/Windows
Apple Valley, California PGP:0xE3AE35ED

It's all fun and games until someone starts a bonfire in the living room.