AutoBanter

-   General (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   This DeLorean: Is this deal worth it? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=15395)

Let_do_The_No May 6th 04 05:40 AM

This DeLorean: Is this deal worth it?

Hello, perhaps some of you may offer an opinion on this deal 81 model
with questionable engine for $7000+/12K miles.

Second, what else should I ask about / be concerned about on this
vehicle? Here are the vehicle pictures and information:

Would I be OK if I bid under $10,000 for this car and fix it. The car
only has 12K miles. Thanks.

What should I ask about on this vehicle based on what is already
given? Thanks.

Skivvy May 6th 04 08:49 AM

"Let_do_The_No" > wrote in message
om...
> Hello, perhaps some of you may offer an opinion on this deal 81 model
> with questionable engine for $7000+/12K miles.
>
> Second, what else should I ask about / be concerned about on this
> vehicle? Here are the vehicle pictures and information:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2243076521
>
> Would I be OK if I bid under $10,000 for this car and fix it. The car
> only has 12K miles. Thanks.
>
> What should I ask about on this vehicle based on what is already
> given? Thanks.

SPAM !!!

Why is this Guy asking questions about his own car?

If you read the ad, you can call a Guy called Warren , & the poster is also
called Warren!!

BTW Warren, you don`t need a professional to `undust`? the car.....just a
hosepipe !!! Oh, & a tap with water .

Reuven May 6th 04 12:12 PM

I think it is quite expensive. I have one in perfect condition that
I'm looking for $20K.

Reuven

Alex Rodriguez May 6th 04 05:32 PM

In article >,
says...
>Hello, perhaps some of you may offer an opinion on this deal 81 model
>with questionable engine for $7000+/12K miles.
>Second, what else should I ask about / be concerned about on this
>vehicle? Here are the vehicle pictures and information:

>Would I be OK if I bid under $10,000 for this car and fix it. The car
>only has 12K miles. Thanks.
>What should I ask about on this vehicle based on what is already
>given? Thanks.

I would give the car a very, very carefull inspection before considering
a bid on it. The person posting the acution obviously knows little about
the car.
------------
Alex

Tony P. May 6th 04 06:04 PM

In article >,
says...
> Hello, perhaps some of you may offer an opinion on this deal 81 model
> with questionable engine for $7000+/12K miles.
>
> Second, what else should I ask about / be concerned about on this
> vehicle? Here are the vehicle pictures and information:

> Would I be OK if I bid under $10,000 for this car and fix it. The car
> only has 12K miles. Thanks.
>
> What should I ask about on this vehicle based on what is already
> given? Thanks.

The seller could have at least taken it outdoors and hosed it down.

Tony P. May 6th 04 06:07 PM

In article >,
says...
> In article >,

says...
> >Hello, perhaps some of you may offer an opinion on this deal 81 model
> >with questionable engine for $7000+/12K miles.
> >Second, what else should I ask about / be concerned about on this
> >vehicle? Here are the vehicle pictures and information:

> >Would I be OK if I bid under $10,000 for this car and fix it. The car
> >only has 12K miles. Thanks.
> >What should I ask about on this vehicle based on what is already
> >given? Thanks.

> I would give the car a very, very carefull inspection before considering
> a bid on it. The person posting the acution obviously knows little about
> the car.
> ------------
> Alex

Use a good escrow service too.

Friend of mine bought an '85 Jaguar on Ebay. The care was in PA, he's in
RI. The guy drove the car up.

Outside it looked beautiful but the guy was at least honest, the exhaust
system fell off on the way up. And on opening the hood we could tell the
car had been fairly well used and wasn't quite what the seller had
advertised.

No problem - he comes up here quite often anyhow. So my friend gave the
car back, rescinded the escrow and everyone was happy. Well, maybe not
the seller.

Tony P. May 6th 04 09:34 PM

In article
svezel.net>,
lid says...

(Let_do_The_No) realised it was 5 May 2004 21:40:59
> -0700 and decided it was time to write:
>
> >Hello, perhaps some of you may offer an opinion on this deal 81 model
> >with questionable engine for $7000+/12K miles.

> American poser's car, built by a coke dealer, with lots of British
> subsidies, in Northern Ireleand, famous only for being a low-quality,
> hard-to-sell dog that won't rust and starred in a series of forgettable
> movies as a time-machine.
>
> Avoid like the plague, especially when the seller has no valid reason to
> not clean it before the sale and seemingly has to advertise it in four
> newsgroups by posing as a potential buyer to arouse interest in the
> auction.

I dunno - some of us make the Back to the Future link, some of us don't.
However, the care does have collectible value based on a few facts.

The first is that DeLorean bucked Detroit and built his car, his way.
Second is the all stainless steel body. Manufacturers could do this to
cars but the problem is getting paint to adhere. Someone figured out how
to do this with a type of clear coat that tinted the bright silver to
the desired color. It looked very cool at the time.

And gull wing door - don't see much of those anymore.

Granted, the cars are only at their 23rd year, but in about 10-15 years
it'll be a bona fide collectible. I just can't see paying $10K for it.

Alex Rodriguez May 7th 04 03:16 PM

In article >,
says...

>The seller could have at least taken it outdoors and hosed it down.

According to him, you need a professional to do that otherwise you
risk damaging the stainless steel. Completely clueless seller. I
would stay away for that reason alone.
--------------
Alex

[email protected] May 7th 04 03:19 PM

On Fri, 07 May 2004 10:16:13 -0400, Alex Rodriguez >
wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>>The seller could have at least taken it outdoors and hosed it down.

>According to him, you need a professional to do that otherwise you
>risk damaging the stainless steel. Completely clueless seller. I
>would stay away for that reason alone.
>--------------
>Alex

Strange, quick exposure to water damages stainless steel?

I'm confused. :-P

***************** Check Us Out *****************

http://www.CarFleaMarket.com

We help you sell off-line as well as online.

Don Bruder May 7th 04 03:44 PM

In article >,
wrote:

> On Fri, 07 May 2004 10:16:13 -0400, Alex Rodriguez >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> says...
> >
> >>The seller could have at least taken it outdoors and hosed it down.

> >According to him, you need a professional to do that otherwise you
> >risk damaging the stainless steel. Completely clueless seller. I
> >would stay away for that reason alone.
> >Alex

> Strange, quick exposure to water damages stainless steel?
>
> I'm confused. :-P

I think you're supposed to be :)

--
Don Bruder -
- New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.